changing oil filter Kohler 20hp, tough job !

krazybobJuly 24, 2009

I decided it was time to do the first oil and filter change on my Craftsman lawn tractor with the Kohler 20 hp engine. I've changed many oil filters in my lifetime, but I've never seen one where I almost tore the filter into pieces trying to get it off. Then when I installed the new filter, I tightened it like I normally do just by hand, but it leaked really bad, so I kept tightening it until it quit leaking. To do this, I had to use the filter wrench and dented the filter case before I had it tight enough to stop the leaking. There is something wrong when filters need to be this tight to seal. Has anyone had this experience??

Krazy~

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tomplum

Someone had recently posted their difficulties in the tractor forum with the filter mating surface on their new Kohler Command. It isn't uncommon at all to find the original filters cranked on- disregarding their own installation instructions. KAW,B&S and Kohler alike. Does your model have an oil cooler that attaches to the base of the filter? Is your's a Courage or Command?

Bookmark   July 24, 2009 at 11:42AM
More Discussions
JD L100 and LA100 series trans oil change
I have a JD L118. It had a K46 trans that failed at...
fix_it
New Honda HRX Drive System
I see where Honda is presenting a new drive system...
skipmarr
Mclane 20" mower at Sears... why so inexpensive?
Hey everyone, I want to get yall's input on a mower...
bobbarker14
need a mower
Hi. I'm trying to find a decent self propelled walk...
mjgarden1
Craftsman ZTS 7500
Going to look at a used one of these tomorrow. Anything...
radlee30458
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™