Brown grasses

ruru_1July 28, 2014

Few days ago, I posted a message about brown spots, and several people helped me. Today, I am encountering another issue. One section of our lawn looks like there is a mixture of green grass and brown grass. Please see the photo below and help me with the treatment.

Here is more info:

1. Bermuda grass
2. Mow every 7 ~ 10 days
3. Had lots of rain lately

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joneboy(7)

Common bermudagrass in your hybrid bermuda lawn.

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 11:46AM
ruru_1

Thank you! Any solutions to spot kill common bermuda grass?

This post was edited by ruru_1 on Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 19:07

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 1:39PM
ruru_1

Someone said I can try Scott's Weed and Feed to get rid of common bermudgrass. Is that true?

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 6:17PM
joneboy(7)

The Weed and Feed product will not have any effect on the common bermuda. The Scotts Weed and Feed product is 2,4D and Mecoprop both are broadleaf herbicides. Your only real option, if this is a small area,is to spray the entire area w/48% active ingredient glyphosate, Roundup, at the high rate. 3 apps total once every 28 days and then resod. There is a good chance the common bermuda will return in the next few years.

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 9:22PM
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

It is hard to recognize some differences in a 2-dimensional picture. When you get your nose into the grass, can you see a difference between grasses. There are differences between common bermuda and hybrid.

When I saw the picture my first instinct was that the hot sidewalk is drying out the soil. You need more water in that spot.

How are you watering now? How often and for how long?

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 9:42PM
iriasj2009

Bermuda + mowing once every 7-10 days + lots of rain = your current issues, at least thats a good possibility. I have an area with common and hybrid Bermuda and it all looks green and even (of course not as nice as 100% hybrid bermuda) but it looks nice. I am currently mowing at 1 inch and with the amount of rain and fertilizer, I have been having to mow every 2-3 days (with a reel mower). How high are you mowing? Try to mow every 5 days and see if you see any improvement.

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 10:50PM
ruru_1

@ Joneboy 7: Thank you very much for your suggestion.

@ dchall_san_antonio: Before the rain last week, I used to water the lawn everyday for about 15 - 20 minutes.

@ iriasj2009: The current height setting is at 2.

The below photo shows left side of the driveway. It looks OK. The problem area is on the right side of the driveway. No problem on the both sides of the house as well as backyard.

This post was edited by ruru_1 on Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 8:53

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 11:12PM
More Discussions
poor top soil
I had what I thought was top soil brought in to fix...
olusteebus
I need lawn renovation help in Zone 7/8
I want to renovate my 24,000 sq ft lawn. The problem...
tless195
I need a lawn "redo". More weeds than grass and more...
Here's the skinny. We live in Jacksonville, FL. Everybody...
Rich Possert
hydroseeding this spring or wait til fall?
hello - my lawn took a major hit last year even after...
duk748
Grass & pine straw in winter
Part of my yard St Augustine grass, much of which is...
tao55
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™