John Deere LX 178 stalls 5sec after starting; then crank/no start

gvegasdocJuly 4, 2011

This has been a recurrent problem last two years. Two shops, new PTO clutch, new throttle cable, and two new fuel filters, and $500 later, still having same problem. Whatever they do seems to help a while, then same issue. Tried cleaning vent hole in gas cap and loosening gas cap; not helpful.

When it stalls, it cranks and cranks, but will not start up...20 minutes later, it will start again, then stall again in 5sec.

Fuel pump? Fuel filter 1 year old; does not appear dirty.

Again, it will start initially nicely, then stalls in 5 sec. and will crank/turn over, but not start again, until 20 min later, same thing.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tomplum

First line of defense on these is to confirm that the choke is closing fully and each time. It may be good to determine whether or not you have an ignition issue or a fuel issue. A shot of carb spray down the throat of the carb will act like a mild starting fluid. If it wants to run- you have spark. How frequently does this do this? Has this machine sat for a while?

Bookmark   July 5, 2011 at 12:36AM
rustyj14(W/PA)

What make of engine is on the machine? Some engines have problems that are not a problem on other makes, and are solvable with different treatments!
Your problem sounds like the typical carburetor problem we have found with Tecumseh carbs, among others.
Rusty J.

Bookmark   July 5, 2011 at 9:11AM
earthworm(6 Pennsylvania)

I agree with the "first line of defense" idea.
A shame that shops practice so much "replacement" and so little diagnostics .
I think that the 5 seconds of heat amassment tends to rule out electrics, but the tests do need to be done.
The advice here is excellent.

Bookmark   July 6, 2011 at 8:17AM
steverose999

My John Deere LX178 with the Kawasaki engine runs well for about 20-30 minutes, then acts like it runs out of gas. It will restart if I hold the choke for a couple minutes, but rough. If I let the mower cool off, it will restart and run good for 20 minutes or so. I noticed the fuel pump weep hole was leaking gas, so I put in a new pump. I removed the carburetor bowl to insure that it's clean. I also removed the gas tank and drained and clean it too. All fuel lines are new. Not sure what else to check. Do you have suggestions?

Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 2:12PM
lonwalker25

I am having the same issues, I am wondering what was the final fix for this problem??

Bookmark   May 23, 2014 at 7:15AM
More Discussions
Ariens Zoom 2350 zero turn won't start
Model # 915085 with Kohler 23HP engine. Ran fine all...
acralph
2 cycle (Robin) Snapper
Does anyone have any input on whether that Robin 2cycle...
wegrowhair
Toro Zero turn
Having trouble with Toro Time cutter ZT4200,Koehler...
Amy Bebensee
MTD mower runing rough
My MTD mower is running rough. It is hard to start...
latunda
PTO Problem on my Lawn Mower
I was just outside mowing and I hit an obstruction...
amburton98
Sponsored Products
John Boos CU-GB25-BR Barn Red Gathering Block Table (36x25x24) with Henckels 13
Overstock.com
Beken of Cowes
$695.00 | FRONTGATE
River City Clocks 818-10QM Case and Feeding Deer Musical Cuckoo Clock - 818-10QM
$279.30 | Hayneedle
Keyser Rocking Chair - Key Largo Graphite Brown
Joybird Furniture
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Artistic Weavers Rugs John Red 9 ft. 9 in.
Home Depot
Miss Deer Fleece Throw Pillow
$27.99 | zulily
Casa Marseille 21 1/2" High Black Outdoor Wall Light
Lamps Plus
Rustic Antler Two-Light Replica Deer Antler Deer Antler Island Pendant
$378.10 | Bellacor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™