lawn mower starts, but wont stay running

scott11July 26, 2009

I have a craftsman 4.5 hp mower. Really dont know much about it. Today I started it up, or tried to. Filled fuel tank, pressed primer a few times, gave it a pull or 2, and it started fine, but only ran about 30-45 seconds. Did the same thing over and over, wont run more than a minute. Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
orangedotfever

It's running out of fuel. Check for fuel flow from the tank and through any fuel filters it might have. Sounds like it's getting enough flow to refill the bowl, slowly, but not to run very long.

Bookmark   July 26, 2009 at 1:11PM
scott11

sounds like you might be right. Dont think I have a filter, dont see one in the manual. Are there any product I could add the the fuel, rather than taking it apart?

Bookmark   July 26, 2009 at 1:49PM
rustyj14(W/PA)

What engine? How many horsepower? What make of engine? Need to know, to diagnose it!

Bookmark   July 26, 2009 at 2:53PM
scott11

ok, after reading some other posts, I added some liquid fuel injector/carb cleaner to the fuel tank and ran it a few times. It started staying running longer and longer, and by the time I finished my first pass on the yard, it was running really well.

Thanks

Bookmark   July 26, 2009 at 4:03PM
ericwi

Gasoline is not a pure chemical. It is refined from crude oil, but there is still some percentage of gum that accumulates in the carburetor, over time. I'm glad that your mower is running well. Some people add carb cleaner to the gas tank used for refilling the lawnmower, and operate the mower on that mixture all the time.

Bookmark   July 26, 2009 at 7:36PM
More Discussions
Snapper commercial refurb
This is the 1986 snapper 21500PC that I found in the...
snapperfreak
JD L100 and LA100 series trans oil change
I have a JD L118. It had a K46 trans that failed at...
fix_it
Bad ignition coil magneto on Tecumseh
Is there a more economical solution to replacing a...
don_v
Need Craftsman mower grass bag
I have a very old, but really good condition Craftsman...
olddaddy
snow throwing
older blower. 7hp, 24" width, 14" auger....
joe_mn
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™