Bermuda Mowing Cut height method

bermudatri09July 28, 2009

Was just thinking... if you cut bermuda at the same height every time, eventually everything below the cut height will die? If that is true, this means eventually every mowing will leave the grass looking like crap. Does anyone cut below the normal cut height to keep the undergrowth in decent shape? For example... I maintain at 1", before every dose of fertilizer, I mow at 7/8.

Would this provide any benefit?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
reelfanatic

HUH?

Bookmark   July 28, 2009 at 3:13PM
mike9

Grasses mostly grow from the base end not the tip, so giving the bermuda grass a "haircut" at iether hieght should be fine.

Bookmark   July 28, 2009 at 3:29PM
neilaz(9a)

I think I know what you mean. Since you are probable like me and do not mow as often as needed bermuda can get to looking brown after a mow. I start the season below 3/4 inch and when grass starts looking bad after a mow i raise it the next time. Keep doing this until I am at 1 1/4 inch or so then cut back to 3/4. (then next mow is above that) This will usually be in early SEP. Now if I can only get out there when it is 115 and mow every other day these steps could be avoided. :) So if you mow at 1 inch and after it looks bad go to 3/4 then back to 1 that works also.

Bookmark   July 30, 2009 at 10:50AM
fairview

Bermuda turns brown after a mowing because it was allowed to get too tall and then too much was removed exposing the stems. Once Bermuda gets so tall, over 2" or so, The underbelly so to speak turns stemmy and brown from the shade. To avoid this mow more frequently to keep it short allowing sunlight to reach all parts of the Bermuda. The presence of chlorophyll is dependent on sunlight. If it has already been allowed to get too tall, there is really nothing you can do to get it shorter unless you are willing to put up with a substantially brown yard until it regrows.

Bookmark   July 30, 2009 at 12:02PM
More Discussions
What order do I restore my lawn?
I live in the CA Bay Area and have a fescue lawn. ...
Brent Villalobos
Lawn after so much snow…what do I need to know?
A newbie here so I haven't maintained a lawn for a...
Pippin
spreader settings not on fertilizer bags?
I recently had a soil test(s) on my yard and had a...
hc803
Artificial Grass Maintenance?
I'm newbie in gardening. I want to know what kind of...
kevin497
What type of grass grows best is very shady areas in South East Texas?
I live in South East Texas and have many trees and...
dcloteaux1350
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™