What do you use for edging your lawn?

danielj_2009July 29, 2014

I've been avoiding edging the lawn but since I'm getting some burned grass next to the driveway I thought I'd cut it back away from the Belgium block a bit. Home Depot sells those hand edgers with the rounded bottom that you step on. It seems like it might be hard to get a straight edge on a long run with that, but maybe not.

I see landscapers scalping the edges of the lawn with weed whackers all over the place. Ugh!

What do you guys do about edging around curbs and beds?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
morpheuspa

A weed whacker in my case (technically a gas powered edger). They're easier to handle than many think, but wear eye protection at all times during use.

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 1:24PM
danielj_2009

Actually it looks like a good edger still doesn't cost an arm and a leg so I guess I'll have to spring for one. I actually don't mind the look of the grass growing up next to the walkway and if it weren't for the dying grass next to one section of the driveway I don't think I'd bother edging.

Thanks for the reply!

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 1:50PM
morpheuspa

We edge because, well. Kentucky bluegrass. Not a particularly aggressive variety, but it's aggressive enough.

Keeping the correct edge on a borderless garden is the hardest part. Over the last eight years, by the number of times and distance I've had to move the robot's guideline, the gardens have expanded about two feet on average.

You won't have that problem, and whether you edge or not just depends on which one you prefer.

And no, the trimmers don't cost a fortune and a good one will last a long time. I'd recommend a gas trimmer for greater power, although some of the newer electric ones with batteries do very well, too.

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 2:13PM
lou_midlothian_tx(z8 DFW, Tx)

I have a stick edger that gives you a clean cut compared to string trimmer. It was a must for my previous st augustine lawn on a corner lot with sidewalk...

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 5:32PM
morpheuspa

I've seen those but never tried them. What happens when you hit a rock?

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 6:07PM
bvaughn4

I just gor a Black and Decker Edge Hog and after the first use love it! Previously used a weed whacker but was a PITA to get straight line or even cuts.

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 8:18PM
danielj_2009

Thanks bvaughn. I'll check it out.

Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 12:36PM
More Discussions
Why would my neighbor's yard be snowless?
I know this isn't really related to lawn care specifically,...
asm198 - Zone 6a (MO)
Re-seeding tall fescue in winter
My tall fescue lawn has become really sparse. So I'm...
LeonidasBigalowIV
Shady lawn in winter - what seed is best?
Hi, I have a small garden in London, England. Because...
Blighty
Problem with St. Augustine grass
Hi! I live in the north of Portugal (Hardiness Zone...
Kratus
What order do I restore my lawn?
I live in the CA Bay Area and have a fescue lawn. ...
Brent Villalobos
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™