Honda Running Rich

tbriggsJuly 8, 2013

Hi everyone,

I have a 2 year old commercial LB mower with the Honda GSV190 with manual choke and throttle control with a problem. Engine had been running fine till I tilted the mower (carb down oil tube up-wrong way!) to sharpen the blade. Upon re-assembly, noticed fuel/oil had dripped from air-filter canister. Cleaned air-filter canister and filter. Now engine runs slightly rough, not developing full throttle rpm, and running rich with resultant carbon build-up on plug.

Subsequently, I pulled the carb checking fuel bowl, needle valve and float and blew air through fuel inlet nipple and main jet. Starts fine but continues to run rich. Oil level 1/8" below full on stick, fuel new w/stabilizer.

What might the oil from tilting the engine gotten into to cause this problem (carb circuit blockage, breather tube blockage)? Is there a engine diagram available on-line?

Any ideas/suggestion/solutions would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Tom

This post was edited by tbriggs on Mon, Jul 8, 13 at 14:20

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
baymee(LehighValleyPA)

I don't know how you would clean the air filter of its oil. Remove the air filter and run it. If good, replace the air filter.

Bookmark   July 8, 2013 at 2:49PM
tbriggs

baymee,

I solved the problem before I read your post, however you're absolutely correct. Indeed, the airfilter was oil-soaked enough that the mixture was affected. What's strange though, is I could have sworn I removed the airfilter to blow it clean and to check engine run without and I thought it had continued to run poorly, so I'm not sure what to think. It is fixed though. That's what matters. Thank you.

Bookmark   July 8, 2013 at 4:56PM
1saxman

Hey Briggs; you're one of the very few with the Lawn-Boy 22271. I've never been able to find out how many they made in 2007 but it wasn't many before they pulled the plug. I guess you know that the same thing is now the Toro 22156 in case you need parts. The GSV190 is an incredible engine and I consider this mower to be just about the best ever made.

Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 10:00AM
tbriggs

Hi saxman1,

What clues you in to think this is a 22271? To be honest I'm not sure of the model. I purchased it new from a commercial grounds equipment dealer (no box, no literature) who said it was a prototype that they took to shows. The deck looked like a Toro and it has a guard bolted to it to protect the engine. I liked it also because it had split metal wheels and wasn't self propelled. If you know more about it then please let me know.

Thanks,

Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 10:57AM
1saxman

I think the pusher was the 22270. It is the only Lawn-Boy that has had the GSV190. Actually, the Toro 22156 deck looks like the Lawn-Boy because the Lawn-Boy came first. As I said, the 22156 Toro is the same - same deck casting, engine, wheels, just painted red and white. It was a confusing time - Toro was phasing out Lawn-Boy but LB had come out with an aluminum-deck 'Insight' with Honda GCV160 engine (10797). I guess they decided to use that as a base and make the commercial model with the GSV190 to see if it sold. It was $1000. Whatever, Toro decided in 2008 to re-brand it to Toro. As far as I know, those are still the only two mowers to have that engine, but admittedly I haven't searched all the brands for it in some time. I know I'm very happy that I found mine in April, 2008 at Wise Equipment for $795. It's a full-commercial mower and the wheels have replaceable tires and sealed bearings. The engine has an iron cylinder sleeve, HD crank with ball-bearing mains, larger gas tank and cast aluminum cam cover. For the average homeowner it's pretty much a lifetime mower. here's mine along with my LB 10684 'Insight'.

Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 5:42PM
tbriggs

Hey saxman1,

You nailed it-great picture. I'm glad to see my mower is not an orphan. Thanks for all the great information.

Tom

Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 7:26PM
More Discussions
Need Craftsman mower grass bag
I have a very old, but really good condition Craftsman...
olddaddy
I have a Tecumseh 5hp egine no spark
I measure the ohms from the following. I placed one...
Nutty1269
Tru-cut Reel Clutch Adjustment
I've owned this guy since new (1979). Beyond normal...
runner70
Bad ignition coil magneto on Tecumseh
Is there a more economical solution to replacing a...
don_v
John Deere L110
The mower has been sitting for 3 years, it ran when...
paddlingjohn
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™