Autumn Leaves

sivanx1November 4, 2012

Hello,

I need to store a few bags of autumn leaves until mid February for an art installation. I plan to store them in a dry cellar. But I am afraid they will start decomposing. Do you have any recommendations for the best storage method? paper vs. plastic vs. cloth bags? bags with or without holes? etc.

Many thanks!

Sivan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Marlene Kindred

Well, I've never done that, but I would think a bag that was porous would work better than a plastic one to let the leaves breath and to make sure no moisture develops. Also I would put them up off of the floor of the cellar as well.

Bookmark   November 4, 2012 at 12:34PM
nmgirl(8 S.NM)

Freezer?

Bookmark   November 5, 2012 at 2:06PM
concretenprimroses(4B NH)

Maybe you should have a big ironing party with all your friends and iron them between wax paper. Then you can store them stacked up in sheets of paper.
If you put the in bags you will end up with brown curled up leaves I think. So at least iron a hundred or so to have some color.
Kathy

Bookmark   November 5, 2012 at 6:31PM
pixie_lou

You could dip the leaves in wax to preserve them.

Bookmark   November 5, 2012 at 7:49PM
naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan(5B SW Michigan)

I've stored leaves through the winter by spreading a tarp in the garage, spreading the leaves out on them, and letting them thoroughly dry....took about a week's time during a fall period with moderate humidity. I fluffed and turned them a few times during the drying period. Then I rebagged into paper leaf bags and stored them in the garage for use when the new garden area was ready. They came through with no mold or decomposition and could be spread without the sinus headache I get when stirring up moldy leaves.

Of course the brilliant fall colors fade as the leaves dry, but muted shades of yellow, red, and brown remain.....depending on what leaves you start with of course. Not sure just what you want the leaves to look like for your project.....but drying will at least keep them from getting moldy and stinky.

Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 11:33AM
More Discussions
My Summer Project - Potting Shed Makeover
We had a cute little shed used for storage of our mower,...
luvs2click
Using paint samples outside ?
Hi all ! I was wondering if anyone knows if we can...
Lilyfinch z7 mid tn
Looking for fellow aussies - I've got glass to get rid of!
Hi Folk I started on the exciting journey of glass...
aussie_mum
Changing Landscape part TWO
The time has come. A new idea is a must come spring....
arcy_gw
msn garden junk-sad
As some of you know, MSN is closing! I am sorry to...
nonacook
Sponsored Products
Casella Two-Tone Silver 18-Light Chandelier with Firenze Clear Crystal
Bellacor
Norah 18-Inch Blue Decorative Pillows, Set of 2
$51.95 | Bellacor
Tibetan Leaves Rug 4' x 6' - BEIGE
$1,969.00 | Horchow
Compamia ISP830-BR Verona Resin Wickerlook Dining Chair - Brown - Set of 2 - ISP
$199.99 | Hayneedle
Kraus Nix Glass Vessel Sink and Waterfall Faucet
Overstock.com
Havenwood 4Lt Medium Pendant Autumn Bronze Cl
PLFixtures
SpongeBob SquarePants Foam Decal
$7.99 | zulily
Slumber Solutions Choose Your Comfort 12-inch Queen-size Gel Memory Foam Mattres
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™