Need help with weed id

johnny6(z6 NY)July 23, 2010

Hi, this weed has been growing in my lawn for the past few years. It usually starts in early June. When it first started I was able to pull them by hand. Now there are too many. I've tried both ortho and bayer weed killer but neither one do anything. Can anyone id this weed and tell me how to get rid of it? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
andy10917(NY 6a)

It looks like Nimblewill.

Bookmark   July 23, 2010 at 10:08PM
johnny6(z6 NY)

Thanks, after doing a little more research that's what I think it is too. That explains why nothing will kill it.

Bookmark   July 23, 2010 at 11:41PM
andy10917(NY 6a)

A product called "Tenacity" will kill it, but it isn't OK'ed for residential use yet, and the sizes (1 gallon costs $725) aren't exactly aimed at the homeowner. Both the sizing and the residential OK may change in the next year. Not much comfort for now though.

Bookmark   July 24, 2010 at 11:00AM
gags

For the past 2 years, I've thought it was creeping bentgrass. Then this morning I took it to a local nursery (Merrifield Gardens - figured I'd give them a free plug for the good advice) and was told, as you've already confirmed, that it was nimbleweed. I think I was relieved to hear it, as I wasn't sure how I was going to control bentgrass.

The good news for you is that the plant guy suggested trying Bayers "Bermuda Grass Control for Lawns". The active ingredient is Fenoxaprop-e-ethly (0.41%), and is in a 32 oz hose end sprayer (treats 5,000 sq ft). I paid $23, you may find it a little cheaper, as this nursery tends to be at the "upper range" of the pricing spectrum.

Anyway, the guy helping me wasn't 100% certain it would be fully effective, as I'm about 2 weeks too late. But I'm in VA, and you're in NY, so it may be right on time for you. What was also good to know about the product was that if you wait too long in the season, bermuda grass develops a waxy coating on its leaves and stems, making it harder for herbicides to be effective. Not that you probably have to worry about bermuda by you, but thought that little nugget could be of use to the rest of us unfortunate souls.

The label for the product is here: http://www.bayeradvanced.com/system/product_variants/label_pdfs/000/000/006/original_Bermudagrass_Control_32oz_RTS.pdf

I noticed it doesn't say anything about nimblewill, but since I was buying the product anyway, I'll report back and let you know if it works.

--Gags

Here is a link that might be useful: Bayers Bermudagrass Control Spray

Bookmark   July 26, 2010 at 2:38PM
jtyrie(Z7+ DFW)

Ha ha, good luck getting rid of Bermuda. When the nuclear attack if finished, the only things left alive will be cockroaches and they will be relaxing in comfort on a bed of healthy Bermuda!

Bookmark   July 26, 2010 at 4:29PM
johnny6(z6 NY)

Gags thanks for the tip. Check out this post. It also mentions using the bayers. http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/lawns/msg0319525817047.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Nimblewill control

Bookmark   July 26, 2010 at 9:12PM
gags

Just to follow-up - used the Bayers product mentioned above - had good results controlling / weakening existing bermuda, and noticed a lack of nimblewill as well. That was a little over a month ago. Nimblewill is back, but I'm confident that a second application (hopefully the un-used portion of the initial bottle will be enough) should take care of the new patches of nimblewill. The remaining BG I'm hand pulling and will "attack" next year with a fresh bottle. (Well worth the $23.)

Gags

Bookmark   September 8, 2010 at 2:03PM
More Discussions
What type of grass grows best is very shady areas in South East Texas?
I live in South East Texas and have many trees and...
dcloteaux1350
I want to remove deep roots . . . once and for all!
Hello, I've tried shoveling out some deep roots, but...
figsinhawaii
just bought hybrid bermuda sod will be here in a week. any tips? Socal
hello all I live in southern california and have tifgreen...
bnsand210
What order do I restore my lawn?
I live in the CA Bay Area and have a fescue lawn. ...
Brent Villalobos
Artificial Turf and Gophers
Hello everyone - newbie in gardening here. If I am...
sallophane
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™