Need Advice

BenreinJuly 17, 2014

Hello All,

I recently bought an expensive lawn mower to mow my lawn. My yard is about average size but desperately needs mowing. Up until now, Ive been using this guide to help me with mowing heights.

http://www.lawndoctor.com/content/importance-proper-mowing-height-lawns

I would love to know if anyone knows of anything missing from this article?

Thanks in advance

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
1saxman

I'll look that over and get back, but it all depends on your climate and what grass you have.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 10:17PM
1saxman

That looked to be a comprehensive set of guidelines. But its not super critical as long as you don't cut it severely short. Blade sharpness is just as important. I'm in central VA where most people have fescue and we cut it at 3" to 4". However, I'm a bum and have let my yard go to Bermuda which I cut at 3". I have two mowers that use the same blades. I have a total of 5 blades. I take one off and put a sharpened/balanced one on. The one I take off I sharpen, balance, paint and hang up for later, usually within a week. This way there is no down time between blades.
The biggest mistake I see, and practically everybody does it, is cutting the grass (or whatever green stuff covers your yard) too short. I watch them year in and year out spend money on the lawn having it aerated and seeded, professionally sprayed several times a year and watered with an irrigation system, then get out there every weekend and mow it down to the roots. When the heat comes the lawn basically dies. At least mine stays green until late fall. It seems that the worst offenders are the guys with the riding mowers, and I don't know why they do this.

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 10:30PM
andyma_gw

My front yard is mowed to 4" . In August , I may mow it only twice in August. If I do it right the grass won't get burned and crunchy.

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 8:34AM
rosemallow(z7 Md)

I live in Maryland and 3.5 seems to be the best cut for my grass.
Saxman1 is correct the blade must be sharp. The sharper the better.
Grass sometimes does not like to be cut too high. It causes a problem where it will not grow straight and tall. This causes a problem where it flops and kills itself.
I see no reason to cut grass in my area short. Long or short if it is going to grow it will grow.
As for sharpening. If you do not hit a rock a file is the easiest way to get a good edge.
Also cutting short makes the root system poor.

Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 1:10PM
More Discussions
Tru-cut Reel Clutch Adjustment
I've owned this guy since new (1979). Beyond normal...
runner70
Engine trouble! B&S 13.5hp
My old Heritage ride-on has a Briggs& Stratton...
Over_here
I have a Tecumseh 5hp egine no spark
I measure the ohms from the following. I placed one...
Nutty1269
JD L100 and LA100 series trans oil change
I have a JD L118. It had a K46 trans that failed at...
fix_it
Snapper 21 BBC Rehab complete! see pics
Guys, Finally after much effort I finished the Snapper...
quickrick
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™