GCV 160 5.5hp motor won't idle - surging

gv-gardenerJuly 22, 2009

i have a GCV 160 5.5 hp honda motor on a trimmer mower. Recently it won't idle and surges at low speeds; but when under a load it runs great (full power).

I just finished cleaning the carb. I took it apart and blew it out with air (I didn't have a carb kit). It still does the same thing.

Is it possible something else is causing this, or is putting in a new carb kit and soaking the dirt out the only option?

Would appreciate any advice from your experiences.

Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rolm

You may have missed cleaning the jet on top of the carb. You do not need to take the carb apart or remove the carb from the engine. Remove the screw that covers it and clean that out. I use a fine brush wire and a few good shots of wd40 or equiv. oil.

Bookmark   July 22, 2009 at 8:52PM
zoulas

I have the exact same problem, exact same engine. Unit only 2 months old. I was told it may be the idle circuit. Love the unit otherwise.

Bookmark   July 22, 2009 at 9:23PM
1saxman

'under a load it runs great (full power).'

Then as far as actually using the mower, you don't have a problem. Try running some injector cleaner through it.

Bookmark   July 24, 2009 at 10:05AM
lawn_dude

Me and a friend both had this problem with our mower, they would only run on high speed and would pulse or surge at idle. Tried cleaning the carb but that didn't work, tried replacing all the gaskets, no improvement. Bought a new carb from Plano Power Equipment for a whopping $16, along with the governor spring and rod, spent about $31 total. Installed the new carb and it purrs like a kitten, idles, runs on any speed, just like new. I did also move the spring on the lower right that attaches to the governor lever from one hole to another. Seems the carb and associated linkage is very touchy, that's why I replaced the other parts but the carb may have had a clogged jet and I just didn't feel like messing with it so replacing it did the trick for me.

Bookmark   April 1, 2010 at 9:52PM
zoulas

Not sure why the Honda card is so tempermental. Seems every Honda Mower suffers from this.

Bookmark   April 6, 2010 at 12:27PM
More Discussions
Craftsman 6.6 Eager 1 917.377321 won't stary running
The only way I can keep this mower running is to take...
fresno99
Toro 22" Recycler can't get it started! Please help!
Hi Everyone, So I inherited a 6 month old Toro 22"...
enigma7
Troy Bilt 21inch Push Mower w/B&S Engine
I have an 11A-426A711. I prime it and it starts and...
gordini39
Husqvarna 150bt blower running lean - harder to start
Blower is taking 3 - 5 pulls to start when it used...
edge
Hayter Harrier 41 - will not start now?!?!?
Model 12S802 Type 0905-1 Serial 97030559 I have had...
changyuk
Sponsored Products
Casella Two-Tone Silver 18-Light Chandelier with Firenze Clear Crystal
Bellacor
ALFI AB3101 Shower Valve Mixer with Diverter - AB3101-PC
$164.00 | Hayneedle
Progress Lighting Recessed Lighting 6 in. Metallic Trimlite Compact Fluorescent
$74.68 | Home Depot
Safavieh Indoor/ Outdoor Resorts Black/ Sand Rug (5'3 Round)
Overstock.com
Serena & Lily Corbin Side Table
Serena & Lily
Orange Stemless Wineglass
$7.49 | zulily
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™