Murray riding mower will not start

mustangmJuly 25, 2010

Hi and thanks for assisting. I have a Murray riding mower model 42544x8B that will not start. I have tested the battery with my multimeter and it is reading 12 volts. A heavy guage red wire runs from the battery to what the manual calls a solenoid (part #94613 - not sure what this does). My multimeter shows 12 volts reaching this terminal on the solenoid. When I turn the key to the start position, I hear a "clunk" coming from this solenoid. Another heavy guage red wire runs from a different terminal on this soleniod to the starter. I have tested for voltage at both the starter and at this second terminal, but no voltage is present. Thank you for any advice you can offer. Mark

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mustangm

clarification to post above. When I stated "When I turn the key to the start position" I meant to state "When I turn the key to the CRANK position"

Thanks

Bookmark   July 25, 2010 at 5:09PM
mustangm

UPDATE: I have read on other posts the procedures for testing the starter solenoid (I know what a solenoid is now). As per mownie's procedure I jumped the small solenoid post (solenoid control wire) with the big double wired post on the solenoid. The solenoid just "clunked" eachtime I jumped these connections. No power was getting to the starter. Is it safe to assume that the solenoid needs to be replaced?

As a second test I verified that the starter still functions by jumping the starter directly with the positive battery post using a jumper cable. I hope this was ok to do.

Thanks again for your help!

Bookmark   July 25, 2010 at 6:10PM
walt2002

"As a second test I verified that the starter still functions by jumping the starter directly with the positive battery post using a jumper cable. I hope this was ok to do. "

Sure, fine, good test.

' Is it safe to assume that the solenoid needs to be replaced? "

IF the battery cable connections are clean. A poor, corroded battery cable connection, connection to solenoid and out of solenoid could cause this. Check this cheap thing first then probably solenoid needs replacing.

Walt Conner

Bookmark   July 25, 2010 at 7:28PM
mustangm

Thanks Walt. The cable connections to the battery are tight and clean. Likewise the cable connection to the solenoid posts are tight and show no abnormal signs. I will go ahead and look for a comparable replacement for the solenoid. Thanks much for the expertise!!!

Bookmark   July 25, 2010 at 10:55PM
poppy2010

my troybuilt model#30042sr won't say anything.changed the solenoid and plugs. but still no sound.

Bookmark   July 26, 2010 at 3:52PM
fins59

I had same exact starting problems with my Murray Model 425618x48B 18 HP 42" cut. I would charge battery and it would start the next 20 times but then had to recharge again. Battery tested out fine and solenoid is ok. Then I accidentally stumbled onto this.
TRY THIS: If you have Hydrostatic Automatic Drive transmission - While turning key (cranking) tap or move speed control pedal (right foot) slightly. When I do this mine starts. Why? I don't know but it works.

Bookmark   August 6, 2010 at 11:25AM
rustyj14(W/PA)

To: Poppy: If you are waiting for that engine to say when it is ready to start, or is tired of running and needs a rest--let me say---you need a long rest!

Bookmark   August 6, 2010 at 10:21PM
srekberg_hotmail_com

Murray riding mover was running OK. Took a short break and came back to start up and when I turn the key...nothing.
Took the battery out and had it checked--its good. Replaced the fuse and tried again but when turning the key...nothing happens.
Any ideas as to why to try next. I thought it might be the ingition switch but that looks pretty hard to replace. Anything else before I try that?

Bookmark   May 1, 2011 at 12:27PM
bill_kapaun

Sounds like a safety switch.
Either clutch/brake switch or attachment/PTO switch.

Bookmark   May 2, 2011 at 4:40PM
gregoryblakeney_yahoo_com

My Murray riding mower dont start, it is not getting gas to the carburator; can anyone help? Thanks a bunch, Greg

Bookmark   July 13, 2011 at 5:26PM
rustyj14(W/PA)

Yes! Stick a thin wire thru the breather hole in the gas cap, blow some air thru it, and try it again! It sounds as if a little mud wasp has laid an egg in the breather hole and plugged it up! Happens a lot, this time of year!
RJ
Also, see if it will run without having the gas cap on it. just be careful-and don't drive it without the gas cap!

Bookmark   July 21, 2011 at 1:34PM
MystifiedMurray

I'm having same problem as Steve with my girlfriends old Murray model 42590x92 not starting after taking a break from mowing. Can't find a manual anywhere. Does anyone where the safety switches Bill referred to in his response to Steve are located?

Bookmark   September 18, 2011 at 2:03PM
tomplum

Mystified, please start a new thread and give us more specifics. IE is it cranking but not starting, is it starting initially but won't restart hot and what engine it has would allow us to help.

Bookmark   September 18, 2011 at 2:11PM
daviddavid1954

The mower starts but in seconds stops
Was running great
What might the problem be

Bookmark   May 20, 2014 at 6:28AM
More Discussions
need a mower
Hi. I'm trying to find a decent self propelled walk...
mjgarden1
Snapper commercial refurb
This is the 1986 snapper 21500PC that I found in the...
snapperfreak
Briggs and Stratton spark plug confusion
I've got a B & S opposed twin 422707 on a Craftsman...
yt125
Honda HRX217
Had it for 10 years and is the best mower I ever had....
bob3d
Champion Spark Plug lack of quality
Picked up a set of RJ12C's to have on hand when I do...
yt125
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™