Baby Flower Bed

seamommy(7bTX)November 8, 2010

When I saw this bed at an antique store the wheels started turning in my little bean. It was in pieces and the store owner had tried to fix it with hot glue. Yeesh. I've been having problems with my knees so I figured this one would be easy to plant. It only took about 16 pairs of screws and bolts, and a couple of small L-braces to put it together. It's now solid as a rock. I could sleep in it myself...if I wasn't afraid of getting my head stuck between the bars...

It worked out and the sweet peas growing in the little bed in front of it just moved right on in. I had astilbe, petunias, and several others in it over the summer.

This was a fun project. First, I repainted the bed with rusteoleum, sealed it with a clear coat, then I made a box of cedar boards to fit inside. I lined the box with two layers of weed stop fabric and filled it with a good potting mix. I have had a succession of different flowers in it all summer. Cheryl

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Marlene Kindred

Turned out to be a great planter! Great idea for those of us who can't get on our knees any longer too. TFS!

Bookmark   November 8, 2010 at 7:01PM
jeannespines

Great recycling on that bed ...some hard work pd off...looks like it's found a new life for your gardening...& the Sweet Peas would surely love it, too! Jeanne S.

Bookmark   November 8, 2010 at 10:49PM
sunnyca_gw

Great save & makes a wonderful flower bed, glad it wasn't fixed & sold as too dangerous for a baby, perfect for flowers!! Jan

Bookmark   November 8, 2010 at 11:28PM
excessfroufrou(7)

Awwwwww.... that is so cute. You did a great job, looks great with the plants. I know what you mean about the knees.
Frou

Bookmark   November 9, 2010 at 3:03PM
luna_llena_feliz

Great idea to use it for a more accessible plant bed! It is so nice to see some green right now. I'm getting bummed out over the coming of winter. Bleh! Ack! Pitooey!

Bookmark   November 9, 2010 at 11:45PM
nonacook(8bFL)

What luna said!!!!!

Bookmark   November 10, 2010 at 9:33AM
TwoMonths(So Calif)

yep....a great raised bed....but not quite tall enough to keep out my dogs...I need higher.....waist high and 8inches deep for vegs.

Bookmark   November 11, 2010 at 11:21PM
Purplemoon

That turned out wonderful. Nice job on it. I had to laugh at the previous owner trying to hot glue it together! Sheesh. He's a few chips short of a Happy Meal.

By the way, I was almost afraid to open this post about BABY flower bed after seeing the doll head chandy. LOL.
Glad I took a chance and it was really flowers in there!

hugs, Karen

Bookmark   November 11, 2010 at 11:52PM
concretenprimroses(4B NH)

Sweet !
Love this project.
Kathy

Bookmark   November 24, 2010 at 10:16PM
More Discussions
Dehydrator trays
Does anyone have ideas for recycling food dehydrator...
hokypuk
Hanging Garden Globes
Here's one of my favorite garden junk projects ever:...
janetgia
Good garden markers needed soon
Does anyone know where I can get good garden markers?...
Corkelcol
Working with crushed gemstones
Maybe this is a question to a wrong forum, but I see...
briergardener_gw
Christmas Bottle Tree
I finally got around to making a Christmas bottle tree...
lindasewandsew
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™