Statesman Lawn Tractor--electrical

nunnboys.comJuly 31, 2012

I have a Statesman Riding Lawnmower 16.5 HP Briggs & Stratton motor. I do not know Model Number or year. Looking forhow to release the wiring clip right under full tank, drivers side??? I my motor will not turn over (or at least it does barely) but not enough to crank the lawnmower. Replaced battery, took starter to be checked (good) and now I believe the next thing to check is the "Ground Block" is what I have been told it is. I can't unplug it and don't want to break it. #1...How do I unplus it? 2...what else can my problem be? Nunnboys.com

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bill_kapaun

Briggs OHV engines require the valve lash to be in spec for the compression release to function.

It's actually considered "normal" maintenance.

Bookmark   July 31, 2012 at 11:06PM
nunnboys.com

Valve Lash, how will that not allow the motor to turn over?? and how do I correct that? It does make sense what you are saying because when it did run it always popped and backfired. What should I do ? Thank you so much

Bookmark   August 1, 2012 at 4:30PM
bill_kapaun

Posting the actual Model # of the engine is useful so we know exactly WHAT Biggs you have.

The Briggs OHV engines typically have a "bump" on the cam lobe that opens one of the valves slightly when cranking to relieve compression.
IF the valve lash is too loose, the valve doesn't get "bumped" and therefore, no compression release.

Valves are set with the piston 1/4" past TDC.

Bookmark   August 1, 2012 at 5:42PM
lbpod

OMG, I think there is something SERIOUSLY wrong
with Garden Web's 'system'.

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 3:18PM
More Discussions
Champion Spark Plug lack of quality
Picked up a set of RJ12C's to have on hand when I do...
yt125
need a mower
Hi. I'm trying to find a decent self propelled walk...
mjgarden1
John Deere L110
The mower has been sitting for 3 years, it ran when...
paddlingjohn
Honda HRX217
Had it for 10 years and is the best mower I ever had....
bob3d
JD L100 and LA100 series trans oil change
I have a JD L118. It had a K46 trans that failed at...
fix_it
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™