Is not mowing somehow protected if you're zoned Agricultural?

ilovemytrees(5b/6a Western, NY)July 25, 2014

Hi.

I just found out today that I live in an area that is zoned Agricultural. We have a neighbor who hasn't mowed since last year. His yard is now about 6 feet tall.

I'm someone who believes in live and let live, I do. I respect he has the right to do as he sees fit with regards to his property, however we are starting to see rodents in our yard coming from his hay, and we saw our first snake last week.

My guess is, since we live in a rural area and zoned agricultural, that there is nothing we can do. It almost seems spiteful, his not mowing. I think he's mad at the neighbor on the other side of him, and that is why he hasn't mowed. We've never had a problem with him, but I don't dare ask him about why he's not mowing. Let's just say he isn't a people person.

This neighbor who hasn't mowed, and dh and I all bought our houses within a few months of each other, 11 years ago. This guy used to mow once a week religiously. So it's bizarre he stopped. He isn't in foreclosure or anything.

I want to clarify that neither we, nor the other neighbor I've mentioned have a farm, we just have homes with 1/2 acre lots, but we do have a neighbor kitty corner to us who has land with a large number of cows, and another neighbor around the corner has horses.

Do people who live in areas zoned Agricultural, generally speaking, have any laws forcing them to maintain their lawn?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yardtractor1

Does it look like the pictured linked below? :)

Sometimes restrictions are placed in deeds, or HOA or in local ordinances. They will vary by local, so you need to do some research. If there are none, then he can probably do as he likes unless it rises to the level of a nuisance. Nearly all jurisdictions have nuisance laws.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 5:41PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
botanicalbill(9b SWFlorida)

If its ag, probably nothing you can do. I would find out if your neighbor is doing this out of spite, just go ask him.

âÂÂI've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.âÂÂ

â Mark Twain

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 1:48AM
More Discussions
Logan Labs analysis
I finally got a Logan Labs soil analysis. The numbers...
timtsb
Need help with my grass
Each year my grass is having more dead spots and brown...
jbpadgett09
Seeding after burning off the weeds & old stuff.
We burned the brushy stuff and old dried weeds around...
annaceil333
Logan Labs soil results...need some recommendations.
Thanks for taking the time to interpret my Logan Labs...
prorange
Need Advice About Sturdy Grass that Stands Up to Active Pets
We have a bare spot (large) in our backyard from our...
frank_il
Sponsored Products
Funky Flagstone Rug
$202.99 | Dot & Bo
Area Rug: Giant Fern Espresso 8' x 10' 6"
Home Depot
Bling Bang Table Lamp by George Kovacs
$150.00 | Lumens
Pool Zig Zag Blue Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 8 Ft. Rug
$85.95 | Bellacor
Seville Heavy Duty 3-bag Laundry Hamper Sorter
Overstock.com