Self-Propellar problems Toro Recycler Personal Pace

NormTwoJuly 20, 2014

I just obtained a used Toro Recycler Self-Propelled mower. It runs great, however, the self-propeller doesn't work.....the wheels don't turn when engaged; it just 'clicks' like a gear is slipping or not engaged. Is that a gearbox problem or could it be something else? How much $ to fix this. Also, the deck has two rusted holes in it. I am either going to weld some metal in it or JB Weld it. Any help with the self-propelled problem would surely be appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Woody71

What's the model of the mower? I'd start with looking at the teeth on the wheel and the pinion gear on the driveshaft that drives the wheels. Depending on your model, there may be a spring and woodruff key in the driveshaft under the pinion (make sure not to loose these).

Remove the belt cover and see if the belt is engaging. If the belt looks worn, replace it. Check the driveshaft output bearings on the inside wall of the deck. If they appear to be in bad shape, replace them as well.

I recently replaced the entire transmission assembly and drive shaft output bearings on my Toro recycler. Was pretty easy and you need snap ring pliers. Runs like new now.

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 11:01AM
NormTwo

Thanks for your response Woody71!
The transmission is working fine....I took off the wheels and when engaged, the shaft works fine. The problem is the plastic wheels and possibly the gears at the ends. The plastic 'gear' in each wheel is separated from the rest of the wheel.....do you know if they are interchangeable with the front..they seem to have the same construction? If not, where can I get them cheap? Also, the gears at the end of the shaft look worn; the left side worn in the middle, and the right side worn on the ends.

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 10:00AM
Woody71

You can find the wheels at some of the larger Home Depot stores, from a dealer or online. I would replace both pinion gears as well. The wheels aren't interchangeable as the front don't have the teeth. When you replace the pinion gears, clean everything and apply small coating of Anti-Seize.

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 10:05AM
NormTwo

Thanks again Woody71....I will take your advice.
I appreciate your help!

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 12:00PM
NormTwo

This message is for Woody71.......
Woody, at what points should I put the anti-seize?
BTW...the wheels ARE interchangeable! That could save someone some money.......all you need to do is take the back wheels, pop the rivets out of the plastic and position the metal gear onto the front wheels and hammer the rivets into the designated holes! The only problem is the i.d. of the back wheels is a bit larger to accommodate the metal bushings, but all you need to do is hone a bit larger.

Bookmark   July 24, 2014 at 2:20PM
More Discussions
Need Craftsman mower grass bag
I have a very old, but really good condition Craftsman...
olddaddy
Looking to replace the LB
I've been using a 2003 Lawnboy 10323 for over a decade...
pacochu
Craftsman ZTS 7500
Going to look at a used one of these tomorrow. Anything...
radlee30458
New Honda HRX Drive System
I see where Honda is presenting a new drive system...
skipmarr
B&S OHV 6.5 won't start
If I prime the engine 5/6 times it starts on the second...
mvron
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™