Premixed Two Cycle Gas?

fritz1255(PA)August 14, 2014

Just saw something I have never seen before at my local Home Depot - containers of premixed two cycle gas. These come in metal cans, a little less than a quart. I am assuming the shelf life is better than in a standard gas can? This is an issue at our vacation home, where we use a gallon about every ten years in the trimmer, and the gas goes bad long before it is used up. Any experience with this? How long can I keep a container?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bill_kapaun

That fuel doesn't have the alcohol in it that pump gas does, so you avoid those problems.
Once the can is opened though, it's going to start to "age". How fast????
Personally, I wouldn't save it for the following year.

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 12:19PM
rosemallow(z7 Md)

I can't knock it. I remember when they started selling bottled water and did people laugh. Hmm the laughs on them.
For someone who doesn't want to be bothered with mixing it is good for the homeowner who uses their gas trimmer lightly.
Also it comes in different ratios.

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 8:02PM
saltidawg(Z6 MD)

The stuff I found on Amazon goes for over $20/Gal and claims, "Premixed and ready to use formula with synthetic oil, a fuel stabilizer and ethanol-free gasoline."

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 8:21PM
hippy

I will pass.
I saw it at our local HD. 6 pack 34.99. $5.83 a quart.

Good thing that they claim is a 5 year shelf life if unopened and a 2 year life once opened.

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 10:46PM
fritz1255(PA)

I'm going to try it. This is also an issue at home, where I go through maybe two quarts a year, and have to mix the gas and oil in very small quantities. Wife not happy when I use the kitchen measuring spoons for 2-cycle oil!

Bookmark   August 15, 2014 at 7:43AM
bill_kapaun

I don;t know if they have ethanol free gas where you live, but you can get it for about $1-1.50 more per gal. where I live.
IF you have that available, you might consider mixing up a gal. of that and dumping what's left over at the end of the summer into your car.
You can use your 1 qt. container for the cabin and bring back what you don't use.

Bookmark   August 15, 2014 at 11:24AM
phototone

Here, "PURE" gas, as ethanol-free fuel is called, sells for about 20 cents more per gallon. Not a significant price differential considering the small amounts used in lawn equipment.

Bookmark   August 17, 2014 at 10:52AM
robar

I've been using this fuel for a few months now in my trimmers and blowers. I really like it. I'm using both the 40:1 and 50:1 and I have no complaints. It's also supposed to have a very long shelf life.

Bookmark   August 20, 2014 at 1:33PM
More Discussions
Reel Mower for Bermuda Lawn?
I was looking at the Fiskars StaySharp Max Reel Mower...
void.pointer
Advice Needed on a Used Mclane Reel Mower
Hello! I live in Southern California (San Fernando...
hbcsc153
Briggs and Stratton spark plug confusion
I've got a B & S opposed twin 422707 on a Craftsman...
yt125
Craftsman ZTS 7500
Going to look at a used one of these tomorrow. Anything...
radlee30458
John Deere L110
The mower has been sitting for 3 years, it ran when...
paddlingjohn
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™