Bermuda Grass over Tree Stump

MsRobbieJuly 14, 2014

In May of 2013 I had a tree removed. The company did grind the stump. I then had them lay down Bermuda sod. I am now seeing brown patches over where the tree stump was located. Is there something I can do to clear this up? The grass has been green up until this last month.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

Did they completely remove all the wood chips down at least 6 inches below the surface? If not then you likely have a nitrogen starvation going on. Decomposing wood buried in the soil will deplete all the nitrogen from the soil for 10 to 20 years.

Solution is to dig up the grass (carefully remove it and keep it moist), remove all the wood as deep as you can go, and replace that empty spot with sand or topsoil. Then put the grass back down.

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 5:08PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MsRobbie

Hi dchall: I'm not sure what all they did - I was at work while they were working on my yard. I'm a complete novice at lawncare....can you detail how I would go about removing the grass such that I can then replace it after putting down the sand/topsoil? Thanks so much for your response.

Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 8:30AM
More Discussions
hydroseeding this spring or wait til fall?
hello - my lawn took a major hit last year even after...
duk748
I need lawn renovation help in Zone 7/8
I want to renovate my 24,000 sq ft lawn. The problem...
tless195
Lawn issues (tree roots drying out lawn, uneven ground, grading e
I have been a long time lurker, but this is my first...
tomormatt
Artificial Turf and Gophers
Hello everyone - newbie in gardening here. If I am...
sallophane
Is this sod completely dead? Any hope?
Our beautiful sod went from looking like this, after...
knatalie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™