JD JX75 won't stay running

jdgt225innh(z5 NH)August 24, 2008

I've got a John Deere JX75 mower that's about 5 years old. I'ts got a Kawasaki 6.75 hp engine. It's been running great ever since it was new, except for yesterday. I lifted it up to put on a couple saw horses to change the blade from standard to mulch. I put it back on the ground, serviced the fuel tank, and started it up. As soon as I take it off choke it quits. It will only run with the choke on, and it runs fine with the choke on. I know the blade swap has nothing to do with this problem, but what could it be? The owners manual says nothing about a fuel filter. Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tomplum

Was the mower tipped at all? Does it have a shut off valve on this model? If no and no, drain or remove the carb bowl and see if any water / debris are present.

Bookmark   August 24, 2008 at 3:57PM
jdgt225innh(z5 NH)

I tipped it a bit when taking it on and off of the saw horses. I didn't realize it had a shut-off. I suppose it's for safety? Anyway, just for the heck of it when I started it up today, I tipped it in the opposite direction. Much to my relief it started running normally again. Is this normal with this mower? Or is there something in the fuel control failng?

Bookmark   August 25, 2008 at 8:09PM
jdgt225innh(z5 NH)

Sorry tomplum, after I reread your post I realized you were asking me if it had a fuel shut-off, not telling me. No, it does not have a manual shut-off. Perhaps I should drop the carb bowl because it sounds like there may be debris like you said. Especially if there are changes in the running condition when tipped from one side to the other.

Bookmark   August 25, 2008 at 8:19PM
bill_kapaun

"Especially if there are changes in the running condition when tipped from one side to the other."

Sounds like water in the fuel tank.

Bookmark   August 25, 2008 at 9:53PM
tbeavis

jx 75 starts in choke mode and runs for only about 2 seconds, was running fine all day then died and now only runs for a couple of seconds. Any idea?? thanks

Bookmark   April 30, 2010 at 10:53AM
More Discussions
Tom Boy Lawnmowers????
Has anyone seen or heard of Tom-Boy push lawn mowers????...
bekellog
Hayter Harrier 41 - will not start now?!?!?
Model 12S802 Type 0905-1 Serial 97030559 I have had...
changyuk
airens 1534 mini zoom no crank
I've got a 15hp Briggs motor that I attempted to jump...
baldo6878
Tecumseh Starting Issues
Ok, for a bald man I just have no more hair to pull...
unciet
Ariens Zoom 2350 zero turn won't start
Model # 915085 with Kohler 23HP engine. Ran fine all...
acralph
Sponsored Products
Brescia� Control Brushed Nickel Energy Star Ceiling Fan Body
$339.00 | Bellacor
Kichler Soria 1 Light Outdoor Wall Sconce - 10.25H in. Aged Bronze - 49449AGZ
$97.02 | Hayneedle
Serena & Lily Palmetto Wallpaper
Serena & Lily
White Modern Table & Chair Children's Set
$99.99 | zulily
Somerton Dwelling Studio Desk
Overstock.com
Kona Satin Nickel Two-Light Square Canopy Bath Fixture with Dicro Swirl Glass
$405.00 | Bellacor
SunStopper Sun Haven 16 x 10-ft. Manual Retractable Awning - SUNHAV-16X10-MANUAL
Hayneedle
Hand-tufted Contemporary Black/White Adler Wool Abstract Rug (2'6 x 8')
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™