attaching branches to the wall?

topsiebeezelbub(z7 Al)November 14, 2010

Help clever friends! My son is opening a Japanese sushi place and he wants to create a Japanese garden inside. We thought we could paint tree trunks on the walls and attach real tree branches that arch over the diners with paper lanterns. The ceiling is high, so no toupes would be lost, but what would be a safe way to attach them...don't want any body to get a clunk on the head. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. Topsie.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chevy57red(3/4 MN)

Possibly some large eye screws and wire wrapped around to hold them up.

Bookmark   November 15, 2010 at 4:15AM
kelly_oh(OH z6)

depends on what the ceiling is like, but I was thinking wire, too

Bookmark   November 15, 2010 at 12:52PM
Marlene Kindred

We actually did this in my daughter's room. We put cup hooks in the ceiling in various places where the branches would rest, then we wired the branches to the hooks....not tightly, but just hanging there. It worked for about 8 years, so I know it's safe. We didn't have any branches fall during that time either.

Bookmark   November 15, 2010 at 1:34PM
dcarch7

Depending what kind of walls and how big are the branches.

If the walls are of stud construction, anchor to the studs only. Use an electronic stud finder.

If the walls are masonry, use masonry anchors. There are many kinds. Ask the people at Home Depot. They will advice you.

dcarch

Bookmark   November 15, 2010 at 5:36PM
rock_oak_deer(8b TX)

A commercial building usually has a suspended ceiling. Cup hooks and eye screws will damage the tiles and won't hold anyway. You can't put screws into the metal track because it will damage the track and cause it to rust.

You can loop fishing line around the ceiling track and put the eye screws in the branches. I did this for a holiday display and it worked very well. We used Origami ornaments and it turned out beautifully.

Bookmark   November 15, 2010 at 5:42PM
nmgirl(8 S.NM)

Before you go too far, better run this idea past the Health Dept. (or whoever does restaurant inspections in your area), the Fire Dept. and your insurance company. There may be liability or safety issues.
Sounds like a fun idea but better safe than sorry.

Bookmark   November 15, 2010 at 7:05PM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

Yes - sounds pretty but I was also thinking you'd need to to check the fire regulations as it's a commercial building. They might not like the idea of dry wood and paper lanterns overhead.

Bookmark   November 16, 2010 at 7:03AM
More Discussions
Dehydrator trays
Does anyone have ideas for recycling food dehydrator...
hokypuk
Flower Bed Bed Ideas
I was given two white plastic fence panels (similar...
xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
Thinking of turning this old water faucet into a short light post
I figured removing the faucet itself...and adding a...
cadillactaste
Satellite dish
My first attempt at painting a discarded dish that...
oldcrafty
glass insulators
WWYD? A friend gave me close to 100 glass telephone...
chickiebabeblue
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™