New B&S 675 series with no throttle ??

itsjoeyboyAugust 10, 2008

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to get your feedback .. I just bought a new John Deer J25 with the new B&S 675 series motor.

Im still getting used to the fact that it has no thorttle ??

I researched all the features of the mower I'd need and then sought out a machine from a reputable company.. and ended up with the J25 .. got it for a steal ... It was the last years floor model at my local Lowes, it had never been started and had been sitting indoors for over a year.. So I caught the manager on a good day and he gave it to me for $250 .. I couldn't say NO !! However when I got it home I realized that it had no throttle !! the Mowmentum drive system is taking a little getting used to as well but I'm sure I'll get over that real quick.. I researched other mowers with the same and similar engines from B&S and they are all without a throttle. !!

anywhooo .. I just wanted your feedback and feelings about the new generation of mowers without throttles .. !!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bill_kapaun

That's pretty much old news anymore.
EPA mandates that engines be low emissions.
It's simpler to build a low emissions carb if it doesn't have an idle circuit. If the engine has variable speed, it'd have to pass emissions throughout that speed range, which becomes more difficult, carb-wise.
One speed = one fixed circuit = simple/cheap.
I like to be able to warm up my engines for a bit, at a lower speed too. I still do with my 20 year old Honda.

Bookmark   August 10, 2008 at 2:56PM
itsjoeyboy

Thanks for the explanation Bill .. very well put..

Bookmark   August 11, 2008 at 1:34AM
rolm

They are getting back to the Good old days when they shipped mowers with an auto chock ( 20 years ago) I guess they are saving a bundle not installing a primer bulb.

Bookmark   August 11, 2008 at 11:12AM
larryf

Is this engine equipped with the "Ready Start" feature? The Briggs engines with the auto choke require the full throttle to open the choke. If a slow speed position was available, the flywheel fan would not blow enough air against the air vane to open the choke.

This system works ok for most people. The auto choke engines are very easy to start.

Bookmark   August 11, 2008 at 5:48PM
1saxman

No mower ever needs to be operated at less than full goverened speed anyway, so the throttle has been pointless ever since they mandated the maximum blade tip speed. Now mowers run 600-1000 RPM slower than they did in 1975 - consequently you would never want it go even slower, so the throttle is simply not required.

Bookmark   August 11, 2008 at 8:01PM
backwardprogress

Eliminating variable throttle is the product of imbeciles and morons. Any methods to defeat this, with pictures, are welcome. I need high revs in thick grass, but have many mixeed areas of patchy grass such as edges of pinebarren and poor soil clay areas. I do not choose Chemlawn type practices. If I can't slow the engine speed in patchy areas, the mower will blow clouds of dry earth and dust, harming air quality, people's breathing and the engine air intake. Unbelievably rotten and stupid to eliminate the throttle speed control. Please, some parts company come out with an aftermarket kit of some kind. I suspect more than a cable is needed. That is, how to attach cable where there never was one... Thank you.

Bookmark   July 16, 2009 at 7:09PM
More Discussions
New Honda HRX Drive System
I see where Honda is presenting a new drive system...
skipmarr
Honda HRX217
Had it for 10 years and is the best mower I ever had....
bob3d
Craftsman ZTS 7500
Going to look at a used one of these tomorrow. Anything...
radlee30458
Bad ignition coil magneto on Tecumseh
Is there a more economical solution to replacing a...
don_v
Mclane 20" mower at Sears... why so inexpensive?
Hey everyone, I want to get yall's input on a mower...
bobbarker14
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™