How to destroy this plant

tkneoJuly 27, 2014

I am building a fence.

Previously, when the fence was just chainlink, for privacy, neighbors planted some plants which were vine-like (i am not sure since i am new to gardening). The people building the fence said they pruned everything but i feel like the roots are still in earth and can come back next year. It will be annoying to remove it after the pickets have been installed. Attached is a small growth out of a root that we thought was dead.. What can i do to make sure i completely killed the plant. I dont know where the main root is so i dont want to dig the entire yard..

Please help !! Thanks in advance

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

Don't recognize that, but vining plants are hard to get rid of once they are established. I have had good luck against field bindweed by sticking one strand of it into a flower bud vase with RoundUp in it. I have the 41% RU dilution so I put some water in, too. But I wedged the bud vase against a shrub to keep it from toppling over and stuck the one vine into it. Several weeks later I noticed that I had dead bindweed for 30 feet in all directions. Apparently what looks like a field of field bindweed is really just one plant. That was the only time I've had any success with RoundUp, but I can't say I knew what I was doing back in the 60s.

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 11:22PM
Suzi AKA DesertDance

Round up is your answer, and the previous poster nailed it. You need to give it a heavy dose.

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 11:24PM
Suzi AKA DesertDance

Round up is your answer, and the previous poster nailed it. You need to give it a heavy dose.

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 11:26PM
fertguy

Mix 3.5 ounce of round up. 1.5 ounces of any selective herbicide containing at least 23% 24d. Add one ounce of dish soup all of this into a one gallon sprayer with a gallon of water. This mix will kill any plant and it will not come back.

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 6:46PM
More Discussions
Is this sod completely dead? Any hope?
Our beautiful sod went from looking like this, after...
knatalie
Termite in my yard
I have termites eating my grass roots and killing the...
kmiec
hydroseeding this spring or wait til fall?
hello - my lawn took a major hit last year even after...
duk748
Lawn drainage on the cheap?
My husband and I bought a house in November, and have...
galiana
Lawn issues (tree roots drying out lawn, uneven ground, grading e
I have been a long time lurker, but this is my first...
tomormatt
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™