First Lawn Help, *Checklist Inside* Zone 5 lots of ?'s
Hello, I have been searching around on here for awile now (i am usualy over in the remodeling forum on gardenweb) I am new to upkeeping a nice lawn, i just purchased my first house this year. Its a 1969 ranch. The couple before me had the lawn fertilized by a lawn care company in the past but it may have been some time since it was done last. I found the checklist for newbies so i will start with that.
I want to at least work on getting the front yard looking good. I bought a bag of menards weed and feed thats part of a 4 step program that has 1?, 2 weed and feed,3 feed?, 4 winterizer stuff? I have not spread it yet...
Pretty much the crabgrass is starting to take over the yard. It has thin spots, the yard is lumpy (needs rolled maybe??) There are 2 small parts with a few little mushrooms, the lawn looks like its half yellow (maybe lack of rain the past weeks) There are bare spots in a lot of places.
Can you guys start me off with what i can do this year as well as tell me what i can do next year and when it has to be done? example: Plant new grass, then fertilize, then roll yard ect...
Thanks so much i will be checking this a lot through the day so any questions or comments let me know thanks!
1. Where you live?
Northwestern Ohio (zone 5??)
2. What type of grass you have?
Sorry i have no idea i know there is crabgrass :P
3. What products you have applied to your lawn, and how much? These include fertilizer, herbicide, fungicide, insecticide, etc.
None I used one small bottle of stuff from menards this morning for the first time.
4. How often and how long you irrigate?
Only time i have watered the lawn was when i sprayed the cheap weed stuff from menards.
5. Is the lawn established, or have you recently seeded/re-seeded or added sod? If so, when?
Its established, It has a lot of patches that need to be filled in and its very thin, i assume it needs to be seeded??
6. At what height you mow and how often?
I mow at 3 1/2 inches or 3.
7. Results of soil test if applicable.
Specifically describe the problem being as descriptive as possible
Thin and bare spots, crabgrass, 2 spots were there are a few mushrooms, broad leaf weeds/dandylions
8. Entire lawn is affected or a specific area(s)?
Entire lawn in patchy and bare spots but all in all not too bad. Broadleaf weeds or dandylions are present.
9. If it is a specific area, what is different about this area? This can include: Shade, standing water, insects/pests, weeds, moss, rocks, heavy traffic, etc. Also, if the problem area is ring-shaped or spreading in any way.
- If your problem is with weeds, what type of weeds?
Crabgrass is dominating the lawn... few of the other mentioned above
- How long you have noticed this problem and it is recurring?
- Do you have a preference towards a synthetic or organic solution?
- Past efforts to remedy the problem.
They had lawn sprayed and fertilized by local lawn care company
- Are any solutions not feasible? (hand pulling weeds for 2+ acres, daily watering, etc.)
Its a 1 1/2 acre lot. Pond takes up 1/2 acre. Front lawn i could maybe hand pull?