slipping belt

joe_mn(4 MN)August 23, 2011

have twin blade walkbehind mower. has 56" drive belt. uses hand control to apply belt pressure. put on new belt and adjusted lever for proper feel. mowed about 1 hr. son mowed again today and he said motion was jerky and than smoke was coming from belt area. did not look at it yet. odd. even 10 yr old original belt never made a squeak. if light hand pressure is applied, mower just slows down and even could stop. so belt does slip a lot. is it possible that new belt has more grip and just does not like to slip? standard v-belt. 1/2" width or maybe 5/8. old belt had many cracks but did not look real bad.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rdaystrom

It is likely that whatever the belt is turning is harder to turn than normal. There could be a brearing or bushing etc that is going out. A slipping belt that smokes is telling you that.

Bookmark   August 24, 2011 at 8:52AM
joe_mn(4 MN)

Replaced 1 spindle shaft 2yrs ago. Bearing was fine. Think 2nd shaft assay might be getting sloppy. I inspected both assy's at repair time and all parts looked good. Will dig a little deeper

Bookmark   August 24, 2011 at 11:54AM
joe_mn(4 MN)

Turns out new drive belt is fine. The belt for the blades is twisted and chewed up. Changed belt and found spindle shaft is worn so spindle pulley is moving sideways and rubbing against blade brake. Jeez what mess. Time for 2nd new spindle shaft.

Bookmark   August 30, 2011 at 9:27PM
joe_mn(4 MN)

$40 for a 6" piece of double D bar stock. Grrr.

Bookmark   August 31, 2011 at 9:10AM
More Discussions
Reel Mower for Bermuda Lawn?
I was looking at the Fiskars StaySharp Max Reel Mower...
void.pointer
Honda HRX217
Had it for 10 years and is the best mower I ever had....
bob3d
john deere RX75 belt diagram
I have a Rx75 with 9hp motor. I bought it used and...
jeremy_2010
Looking to replace the LB
I've been using a 2003 Lawnboy 10323 for over a decade...
pacochu
JD L100 and LA100 series trans oil change
I have a JD L118. It had a K46 trans that failed at...
fix_it
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™