kawasaki engine

jlw49August 3, 2008

I am working on a kawaaski e/n fj180va81757 what should the compression number be on this engine. I can't get it to start no matter what I do. It has overhead valves. What should i try on this model I checked the compresson and it register 30lbs. But I don't know if there is a compression release onthis engine. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tomplum

This should tell you everything you ever wanted to know but were afraid to ask- I hope. You normally don't get much of a compression reading on these due to the compression release as you suspected.

Here is a link that might be useful: Service manual

Bookmark   August 4, 2008 at 1:35AM
jlw49

Thanks for the service manual link. When I pull the rope to start it after priming it I get a puff of smoke out the exhust and back through the air cleaner what could cause that Thanks

Bookmark   August 5, 2008 at 7:41AM
tomplum

Has the mower sat for a while? If so, sticky valves could be the culprit. These little OHV's will do that if they get run with yuck gas and forgotten about for a few months. Possibly an unhappy flywheel key or spark plug. Another easy thing to check would be to ensure the shut off switch is fully open. IE stretched zone start cable just barely disengaging the switch which will intermittently close while cranking. Has any other work been done on this before? Any signs the rocker cover has been off for example? Let us know what you find covering the basics.

Bookmark   August 5, 2008 at 8:11PM
jlw49

Tomplum, I checked everything out today that you told me to. Everything was good. I pulled the muffler off and shined a light in rotated the flywheel and the piston doesn't move. I believe something broke inside. What do you think. Thanks for all your advice

Bookmark   August 10, 2008 at 7:14PM
tomplum

My best guess is that you are not looking at the piston. But would it be that easy? ;) Either that or the flywheel is now freewheeling on the crank or yes- something has said goodbye inside. The piston was moving if you had compression.

Bookmark   August 10, 2008 at 7:54PM
More Discussions
Looking to replace the LB
I've been using a 2003 Lawnboy 10323 for over a decade...
pacochu
Reel Mower for Bermuda Lawn?
I was looking at the Fiskars StaySharp Max Reel Mower...
void.pointer
Engine trouble! B&S 13.5hp
My old Heritage ride-on has a Briggs& Stratton...
Over_here
Advice Needed on a Used Mclane Reel Mower
Hello! I live in Southern California (San Fernando...
hbcsc153
John Deere L110
The mower has been sitting for 3 years, it ran when...
paddlingjohn
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™