Simplicity 728

justin3August 22, 2007

I recently aquired an old 1972 simplicity 728 from a friend, he said it would not start one day and it was too old to look at. I got it home and found the pto belt broken, I have no idea how the pto system works on this thing but I see 2 horizontal pulleys in front attached to the pto engagement lever and one pulley all the way in the middle of the deck. What am I looking at and can I still get replacement belts for this?? On the engine side, the welsh plug is missing from the carb and it leaks so I suspect a carb rebuild is going to happen. The motor just doesn't seem to turn over fast enough to start. Even with my jumper pack it, the starter can't pull past the compression stroke. It has one of those big starters ive never seen before. Can someone explain what I should try? It has a Briggs and stratton 8hp engine I believe.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jimc_vt(z3Vt)

Nice looking Simplicity,Parts are still available, try simpletractors.com for manuals ,or see my post "simplicity 2010",for a link to manuals ...the starter may require lube and brushes ...the carb is an easy repair ....you have a collectable tractor ....good luck,Jim

Bookmark   August 23, 2007 at 7:26PM
moosehead

Just acquired a 728 today... wish mine looked as good as yours!! I have a ways to go. Any idea on how to get parts catalogue? Mine runs good, needs paint, decals, seat, etc.

Bookmark   December 4, 2007 at 10:28PM
justin3

I ended up junking my 728, because the engine ran for about 10 minutes before throwing a rod, the mower deck is was actualy in horrable condition its just that who ever had it before my friend decided to use some kindof puddy to seal the rust holes and then paint over it. So I just kept the transmission and wheels. As for parts check your local simplicity dealer.

Bookmark   December 4, 2007 at 11:07PM
leycourt

Hi,I have an early 728 in perfect working order,no rust,spare set of new blades,original manuels.Ihave someone here in NZ after buying it,so would like an idea of its value,can anybody help, thanks

Bookmark   March 21, 2009 at 5:56PM
More Discussions
Bad ignition coil magneto on Tecumseh
Is there a more economical solution to replacing a...
don_v
New Honda HRX Drive System
I see where Honda is presenting a new drive system...
skipmarr
snow throwing
older blower. 7hp, 24" width, 14" auger....
joe_mn
B&S OHV 6.5 won't start
If I prime the engine 5/6 times it starts on the second...
mvron
need a mower
Hi. I'm trying to find a decent self propelled walk...
mjgarden1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™