Early rototilling

John_7700July 20, 2014

I have a bad section of lawn that I want to rototil and amend the soil. I can't do the planting this year as I am away from home for long periods. Would it be harmful, or beneficial, to do the soil preparation now or in the fall and leave it sit til next spring?

Thanks, John

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

A bad section of lawn can be fixed without rototilling. Rototilling is the worst thing you can do in preparation for new grass. Yes, I know both Scott's and Pennington recommend it, but it leads to a bumpy surface.

What's wrong with the section now?

Seeding in the spring will give you a lot of summer weeds and a weak lawn by July. You'd be way ahead if you paid a professional to deal with this now. But what it needs depends on what's wrong with it. Must repairs happen at the surface, so you might not need to bring in new seed.

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 1:10PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
morpheuspa

>>Rototilling is the worst thing you can do in preparation for new grass. Yes, I know both Scott's and Pennington recommend it, but it leads to a bumpy surface.

This. It not only leads to bumpiness (which takes ages to settle, if it ever does).

You disturb the soil layers, inject oxygen into layers that don't normally see it, and destroy microbial life that can't stand that level of oxygen. It takes a while for that to restore itself.

Tilling, because it injects oxygen, also sets off fast decay of any organic material in your soil. OM is something you want hanging around as long as possible.

While there are one or two reasons to bite the bullet and do it, this isn't one of them. Those reasons would involve having a soil test with an extraordinarily high pH in your hand, and even then it's just as easy to adjust pH without tilling.

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 1:45PM
More Discussions
Logan Labs Soil Test near Baltimore, MD
Hello all! I moved in to a new house at the end of...
jwolf27
Need help with a disaster!
So we just moved in to our new home my wife fell in...
Roland Sanchez
Logans Soil Test, South West NJ Lawn - 2015
Hey! The results came in and upon initial inspection...
stephensilva1
Velocity herbicide
I have had Poa Annua n triv for many years. It almost...
hoganjr
Protecting Grass Seedlings from Frost
I planted grass two weeks ago and have been watering...
mikec
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™