Can anyone recommend radio headphones to use while mowing?

clermont_ohioAugust 29, 2006

I would like to get a set of radio headphones for lawn mowing. Right now I use an old walkman on my belt with ear buds and insulating earmuffs over those, and it's a huge pain. I'd like a set with insulating ear protection and with tuner, etc., all in the head. I wear a hat and glasses, if that matters. Durability is more important that reception and reception is more important than style.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wecoyote(seattle)

I have seen a pair of PELTOR am/fm muffs at home depot, all self contained in the muffs. around $50.

Myself I have a pair of sennheiser active noise canceling headphones, they do not completly cover the ear, but they reduce the the noise from my honda mower by 45% I use these with my ipod. try amazon for the peltors.

Bookmark   August 29, 2006 at 11:34PM
baymee(LehighValleyPA)

I just use a cheap ear muff type headset and they work great. The ear muffs look like gun shooters hearing protection and completely cover the ear and block out most noise and give good radio reception.

Bookmark   August 30, 2006 at 5:50AM
georgie015

I think a pair of open-air headphones is what you need. It is small, lightweight, and provides accurate sounds. Some models even have convertible bands that can be used over the head or around the neck. There are a couple of brands and models of this type of radio headphones available in the market and on the Internet.

Here is a link that might be useful: PickyGuide

Bookmark   February 8, 2007 at 3:14AM
rosemallow(z7 Md)

I bought a pair from Radio Shack. I noticed I was just turning the radio higher to overcome the noise from the lawn mower.
Recently I bought the peltor which had the radio built in.
Hmm I think it was 22db attenuation. It works fine except the am/fm radio is not as good as the Radio Shack.
My peltor has the option to use a CD player also.I got The blue Racing one.And I am satisified.

Bookmark   February 11, 2007 at 10:31PM
perrymk(8)

I bought the Bell & Howell Insulated AM/FM Headphones because they were cheap. They worked well enough in my living room. This summer we'll find out how they work while mowing the lawn.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bell & Howell Insulated AM/FM Headphones

Bookmark   February 13, 2007 at 11:29AM
quickrick(East coast USA)

This is a cool idea guys.hash it out! QuickRick

Bookmark   February 13, 2007 at 9:25PM
rustyj14(W/PA)

I'd say wearing a set of radio head-phones while using a walk-behind mower is akin to gabbing on a cell-phone while driving yer car, and eating a Big Mac, and drinking a coke at the same time!
OOOOPPPS, now where in heck did my toes go----??

Bookmark   February 13, 2007 at 9:45PM
perrymk(8)

Unlike driving with distractions, the risk to others is fairly minimal when walking behind a lawn mower on my own property.

My objective is to listen to my favorite radio show (Click and Clack) and mow the lawn before the heat of the day but not before the neighbors wake up.

Bookmark   February 14, 2007 at 10:50AM
More Discussions
Craftsman ZTS 7500
Going to look at a used one of these tomorrow. Anything...
radlee30458
Bad ignition coil magneto on Tecumseh
Is there a more economical solution to replacing a...
don_v
Craftsman Lawn Mower Model#917258860 won't turn left
I just bought a Craftsman Lawn Mower with a 46"...
russph3
Snapper commercial refurb
This is the 1986 snapper 21500PC that I found in the...
snapperfreak
Advice Needed on a Used Mclane Reel Mower
Hello! I live in Southern California (San Fernando...
hbcsc153
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™