Reseeding Lawn - Sun & Shade

lpritchett(z7 ATL)August 29, 2011

Hi,

We are in Atlanta and have a very weedy lawn, consisting of a little fescue, a little strayed bermuda, and a bunch of weeds. My husband has decided to kill the lawn and start over. We rounded-up today and he wants to seed at the end of Sept.

Have these questions:

We have a med-large tiller and were considering running it over once. Is this overkill? We could probably borrow the neighbor's aerator attachment.

He was told to kill the grass/weeds w/ round up, wait til late Sept, lay down peat and seed fescue over that. Does that sound like a good plan? We haven't really found peat, but we have found other compost mixes and topsoil.

Finally, my main concern is the fescue. I am not sure if it can survive the sunnier parts of our yard, which make up about 50% of the yard and I would consider full sun, maybe 4-5 hrs. Atlanta sun can be brutal and we endure frequent periods of drought.

From what I have researched here, it seems the best options may lie in a hybridized bermuda or zoysia sod, but he wants to try a seeding route. Is there any type of blended seed for sun/shade that will work?

Any advice would be most appreciated.

thanks,

Laura

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jesse

Mixing warm season and cool season grasses won't work. See what your neighbors have, and plant based off of that.

Don't till. Aeration is fine. Most grass does best in full sun, however, fescue can handle shade. I believe full sun is roughly 8 hours per day of sun.

The biggest thing is temperature. Cool season needs night time temperatures below 70. Yes, it can handle higher lows but becomes much more disease prone and such.

Bookmark   August 29, 2011 at 7:11PM
More Discussions
Synthetic rattan or Natural rattan furniture?
Guys, I would like to know your opinion. Which do you...
kevin497
Lawn after so much snow…what do I need to know?
A newbie here so I haven't maintained a lawn for a...
Pippin
Why would my neighbor's yard be snowless?
I know this isn't really related to lawn care specifically,...
asm198 - Zone 6a (MO)
Termite in my yard
I have termites eating my grass roots and killing the...
kmiec
Problem with St. Augustine grass
Hi! I live in the north of Portugal (Hardiness Zone...
Kratus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™