Starter Fert vs Step 4 - CORRECTION

Ibanez540rAugust 17, 2011

So I'm beginning my over seed project in Northeast OH. Today I did a heavy de-thatch and started to cut short. I have an uneven lawn and am going to be having top soil delivered and fill in the lows. Will be plug aerating prior to as well.

Anyway, I plan on seeding in the next week or two.

I know many of you are organic or anti - 4 step, but I used the Scotts 4 step program this year. When I seed I will be right on time for Step 4. I'm curious if Step 4 will be OK to use when I seed, or if I strictly need to use starter fert?

Step 4 31-3-10

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tiemco

Here's my two cents. Since you are overseeding you don't want the existing grass to grow too fast. New grass roots are tiny, so small that any fertilizer you drop at the seeding time doesn't really do much good for the new grass. So option one is don't fertilize at all. It will keep the existing grass' growth minimal, and you aren't wasting fertilizer. Drop your starter after you mow once or twice. Option two is use a half dose of starter at seeding the other half after the first mowing. Starter is lower in N, so it won't force top growth as much as 31-3-10. The half dose will give some nutrients, but again, the new grass won't be able to use much of the that since the roots are so small. 31-3-10 is too low in P for new grass. Save it for your October feeding.

Bookmark   August 17, 2011 at 11:21PM
More Discussions
Poa Annua already making it's jump!
PA typically comes up here in April, we're mid Feb...
gsweater
St Augustine grass problems
Hello all-- I live in Florida on the gulf coast with...
mike153
Artificial Turf and Gophers
Hello everyone - newbie in gardening here. If I am...
sallophane
hydroseeding this spring or wait til fall?
hello - my lawn took a major hit last year even after...
duk748
New bermuda sod just installed
It is 30 degrees here and I was told to water every...
420benz
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™