Lime before aerating before seeding?

weigojmiAugust 25, 2007

How long before aerating/seeding should lime be applied in the fall? I read it aids in "soil movement"?

Is there an optimal time to seed after aerating to ensure best seed/soil contact? So I wouldn't want to aerate one weekend and then seed the next I assume?

Thanky. :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chad_la(z7 TX)

i'd suggest a soil test before adding lime. you may not need it. its primary function is to raise the PH of the soil. anything in the 6. to 7.5 range is fine for turfgrasses. some like a little more or less than others but in that range just about anything will grow. i wouldnt want fresh lime down the same time i planted seed. as far as doing a core aeration... throw the seed out and do a pass in each direction with the aerating machine. (assuming this is just an overseeding and not a full blown lawn rennovation)

if you do need lime, or pelletized sulphur if your soil is alkaline, i suggest waiting till it starts going dormant in the fall. give the stuff all winter to get watered down into the soil and reap the benefits next growing season.

Bookmark   August 25, 2007 at 5:36PM
More Discussions
spreader settings not on fertilizer bags?
I recently had a soil test(s) on my yard and had a...
hc803
Help! My lawn needs to recover from years of neglect.
I posted this on the organic lawn forum as well. We...
NVL4
Shady lawn in winter - what seed is best?
Hi, I have a small garden in London, England. Because...
Blighty
Is this sod completely dead? Any hope?
Our beautiful sod went from looking like this, after...
knatalie
Termite in my yard
I have termites eating my grass roots and killing the...
kmiec
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™