Leaf ID

farmboy1(5)January 15, 2013

I found this leaf in my yard the other day, and it doesn't match with anything I've seen before. There is a Penny (below) and Nickel (above) for size comparision. Any ideas what it is?

Thanks, and Happy New Year!

vince

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hortster(6a, southcentral KS)

A shot in the dark - maybe this small leaf came from a perennial like heucherella?
hortster

Bookmark   January 16, 2013 at 3:18PM
farmboy1(5)

I wish it was that easy. It's possible there are some of those nearby, but looking at pictures of them, their leaves are very different. They look more like the Acer Rubrums nearby. The lobes on the leaf I found are significantly more pronounced than anything I can find online or in the books I've looked at.

I know it's a tough one if this group is pretty much stumped!

vince

Bookmark   January 16, 2013 at 10:19PM
esh_ga

The occasional non-standard leaf is not uncommon. This may have come from a tree that normally has leaves that are not so deeply cut but still has the same basic shape. Like a norway or silver maple. The red maples near me can vary in shape a fair amount from tree to tree, and the cultivars or hybrids with silver maple even more so.

Bookmark   January 17, 2013 at 10:26AM
jgglobal(Kenefick TX 8b)

I would bet that nickel and penny your leaf is from a cannabis plant. More than likely C. indica which is not native, one of your neighbors must garden indoors.

Bookmark   February 3, 2013 at 9:12PM
farmboy1(5)

Looking at images of C. indica online, they are very different, pinnate? than this leaf, which looks more like a maple leaf but with more clearly defined lobes.

Bookmark   February 3, 2013 at 9:48PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Global, I'll bet you a million dollars and a penny that this leaf is not Cannabis.

Bookmark   February 3, 2013 at 9:57PM
jgglobal(Kenefick TX 8b)

Your leaf shape is palmate(possibly digitate) with palmate venation in my opinion. Not the best sample for positive i.d or (large)wagers. Cannabis is arguably the most hybridized plant in history, which could lead to an endless amount of leaf variance. I guess we shall never know for certain, thanks farmboy for sharing this puzzling specimen.
Rhizo, I don't have a million dollars but my last bet stands. Your confidence does make me curious, do tell, what knowledge is your basis formed upon?

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 1:31AM
jgglobal(Kenefick TX 8b)

Your leaf shape is palmate(possibly digitate) with palmate venation in my opinion. Not the best sample for positive i.d or (large)wagers. Cannabis is arguably the most hybridized plant in history, which could lead to an endless amount of leaf variance. I guess we shall never know for certain, thanks farmboy for sharing this puzzling specimen.
Rhizo, I don't have a million dollars but my last bet stands. Your confidence does make me curious, do tell, what knowledge is your basis formed upon?

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 1:41AM
nicethyme

Malva species

This post was edited by nicethyme on Mon, Feb 4, 13 at 8:02

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 8:00AM
farmboy1(5)

I checked google for images for Malve and Althea, and did find one Althea Rosea "Queeny Purple" species pictured that looks very similar. Don't know how well the long link below will transpose, so I also copied the image and attached it;

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.vanbloem.com/_ccLib/image/plants/DETA-482.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.vanbloem.com/index.cfm?fuseaction%3DPLANTS.plantDetail%26plant_id%3D482&h=250&w=250&sz=22&tbnid=Z3Gq5kPrwldNKM:&tbnh=95&tbnw=95&zoom=1&usg=__1oRFvgppUI0Ya1T-biol9f_NEHI=&docid=IGUnDaaxj8YvHM&sa=X&ei=j9EPUcP8GseEyAH17IDYDw&ved=0CEgQ9QEwBg&dur=1345

This makes sense, as while the Hollyhocks I have were long gone and the leaves were very different, the leaves in the image at the link are a good fit. It could very well be from some other sort of flower, but I didn't see anything in the Malva family that was close.

As for Cannabis, there aren't many neighbors nearby, and I don't see the ones near as the type to grow anything indoors; if they wanted it, they could easily buy it from some other source. Me, I can't stand the smell of the plant, but wish it would be legalized to avoid wasting so much on enforcement and allow the states to make tax dollars to avoid raising taxes.

vince

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 10:39AM
jgglobal(Kenefick TX 8b)

Your leaf margins are serrate, A. rosea looks a bit more undulate. The petiole length of your leaf also seems disproportionately longer, even to the lower larger growth of A. rosea. Sinuses are not quite the same either.

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 11:42AM
More Discussions
Mystery desert plant wtih bright orange seeds
Hi there! This plant was found while hiking near Tucson,...
kellibee1111
No clue...new growth seems to look pinkish
I have a friend wanting to know what this plant is...to...
cadillactaste
Flowering Vine/plant Identification
Have had this plant for years, seldom blooms, but it...
ehgraham
Silk flower NOID #2
Need help to identify what flower this is an imitation...
donrawson
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™