Overseeding MA lawn

bandy1080August 13, 2014

I have a fescue lawn here in MA. It is in good shape but I want to introduce a KBG mix to it this year when I overseed. Does anyone have any recommendations where to get a good KBG mix up here in MA? I have over 35,000 square feet of lawn to overseed so cost is kind of an issue.

I have no problem ordering online if the price and quality is good. I also have access to a local Agway, if anyone has any recommendations on their seed.

Thank you in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

I don't buy grass seed, so I'm not much help for that. But by replying I will at least bump your question back to the top. August is sometimes a bad time to catch people due to vacations.

Online seed can be the best seed available. You get what you pay for with seed. You would like to have a Guaranteed Analysis which shows 0.00% Weed and 0.00% Other Crop. That costs you extra. The reason for the zero numbers is that the worst weeds are like dust. Just a few percent of those can amount to thousands of seeds.

The other thing you have going for you is that KBG will spread to fill your lawn as the fescue thins out. Once you get the KBG established then you're on a trajectory to a KBG lawn.

The thing that some people don't like about KBG is the dormancy. It can happen in winter and summer. KBG becomes brown when dormant. Some people think their lawn has died and start doing all sorts of things to it, but it's just dormant from either cold or heat/drought.

Bookmark   August 17, 2014 at 12:11PM
More Discussions
Poor Drainage Area - Ideas?
All of you seem to come up with such good solutions...
BirkdaleSteve
When can I turn on my sprinklers?
We are new to the whole in ground system thing, they...
dainaadele
Applying Prodiamine with Backpack Sprayer
Hi All- Hoping Morph or another GW expert can help...
BondBull
Convert lawn full of old dog feces to normal lawn
Hello, I would love some advice on trying to get a...
jillian242424
how to take care my new sod lawn?
I moved into my new house in north Texas this Feb....
leooel14
Sponsored Products
Madison Green Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 8 Ft. Rug
$506.95 | Bellacor
Campania International Williamsburg Orabelle Cast Stone Planter - P-559-AL
$199.99 | Hayneedle
Tondo Magma White Mini Pendant
$355.50 | Bellacor
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Bungalow Flooring Rugs WaterGuard Khaki Lawn/Garden
Home Depot
Champion 3000 PSI Trigger Start Pressure Washer
Overstock.com
Santa Small Garden Stake
$20.99 | zulily
Sealy Posturpedic Gel Series Meadow Lea Cushion Firm Euro Pillowtop King-size Ma
Overstock.com
Whimsy Watering Can - Blue
| Dot & Bo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™