Self-propelled lawn mower recommendations

crazedandconfusedSeptember 20, 2013

Can anyone recommend a good self-propelled lawn mower? We're just moving into a new home with slightly less than a 1/2 acre yard that gently slopes away from the house.

Honda? Husqvarna? Toro? Any particular brand or model anyone really loves?

Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
robertz6

I think how well the owner (and the rest of family) takes care of it might affect which mower to buy. Buy a cheape if folks don't take care of it.

I'd buy a Honda if I had a choice. My Toro runs fine, but I never got that fond of it for some reason. My two Sears Craftsman -- one ran hot, the other arrived defective and it took two returns until they fixed it. Actually three returns. After the second 'repair' I refused to take it until the service shop showed me they could start it -- they could not.

Bookmark   September 21, 2013 at 4:36PM
skane1(3)

I have a Husqvarna that has been working great for 3 years and is very reliable.Honda's are good also but have had issues latley

Bookmark   September 22, 2013 at 10:48AM
farmerdill

I am very pleased with my Snapper Ninja.

Bookmark   September 22, 2013 at 8:32PM
crazedandconfused

Thanks all. It seems like everyone has a different brand, and everyone is happy. Leaning toward Honda but still have a little while before I buy. I'll keep searching for feedback.

Thanks again.

Bookmark   September 26, 2013 at 9:31PM
baymee(LehighValleyPA)

I've repaired thousands of mowers over the years and my absolute favorite is a Snapper. I especially like the thumb operation of the self propel lever when there are obstructions, bushes or trees, on the left of me and I want to walk on the right side of the mower.

Bookmark   September 27, 2013 at 2:46PM
crazedandconfused

Wow, great baymee, thanks! Snapper is a brand I've know for years but always associated with rear-engine ride on mowers - never really thought about self-propelled. I'll definitely give them a look.

Thanks!

Bookmark   September 30, 2013 at 9:41AM
1saxman

Toro Recycler, 22" rear-drive (Personal Pace), #20376 w/blade/brake clutch and Kohler OHV engine. The Toro drive system is the simplest and longest-lasting there is.

Here is a link that might be useful: Toro 20376

Bookmark   October 7, 2013 at 2:49PM
phototone

Whatever brand you buy, I highly recommend you make sure it is a rear drive, if you mow any sort of hilly terrain. They have much more traction, in my opinion.

Bookmark   October 12, 2013 at 11:19PM
crazedandconfused

Lots of great thoughts everyone. Thanks for all the input. Still haven't decided but as its autumn in New England I have some time...

Bookmark   October 14, 2013 at 1:16PM
robertz6

I mentioned Honda earlier, but I'm rethinking my answer.

My favorite gas mower is the only one that does not have self-propel!

It is a maybe 30 year old no name (from a local hardware store) it has a B&S 3.75hp engine. This thing is very light, and is a delight to turn; unlike my Sears and Toro self-propel models.

I love to push this thing around. The newer stuff just wants to go in a straight line. Got it two years ago for $22 from a retired gent.

Bookmark   October 15, 2013 at 5:46PM
robertz6

I mentioned Honda earlier, but I'm rethinking my answer.

My favorite gas mower is the only one that does not have self-propel!

It is a maybe 30 year old no name (from a local hardware store) it has a B&S 3.75hp engine. This thing is very light, and is a delight to turn; unlike my Sears and Toro self-propel models.

I love to push this thing around. The newer stuff just wants to go in a straight line. Got it two years ago for $22 from a retired gent.

Bookmark   October 15, 2013 at 5:48PM
baymee(LehighValleyPA)

Whoever sold it to you made a good profit. Those mowers sold for $79, 30 years ago.

Bookmark   October 16, 2013 at 5:31AM
More Discussions
Need Craftsman mower grass bag
I have a very old, but really good condition Craftsman...
olddaddy
need a mower
Hi. I'm trying to find a decent self propelled walk...
mjgarden1
Reel Mower for Bermuda Lawn?
I was looking at the Fiskars StaySharp Max Reel Mower...
void.pointer
Briggs and Stratton spark plug confusion
I've got a B & S opposed twin 422707 on a Craftsman...
yt125
JD L100 and LA100 series trans oil change
I have a JD L118. It had a K46 trans that failed at...
fix_it
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™