need help recovering from brown patch

jvallee(8)August 25, 2013

I got hit hard with brown patch this year and had no time to deal with it. I have read to apply corn meal to get rid of it.
I will be doing an almost total renovation this fall and want to know if I should apply the corn meal to keep it at bay or only when it shows up again?
I think it came from the topsoil I had delivered this spring as I never had a problem before. I have a fair amount left over that needs to be spread but I'm reluctant to so do if it is the culprit.
What do you lawn gurus say?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
andy10917(NY 6a)

Corn Meal itself has zero direct effect upon diseases. It is a favorite food of beneficial microorganisms that prey upon pathogenic fungi. You can't wait until you have a war on your hands to decide that you might need an army for war. A toss of corn meal now and then is an OK low-N fertilizer, but if you want a "microherd" to do your bidding, you have to apply it regularly. It is a good proactive/preventative, and a lousy curative.

Bookmark   August 25, 2013 at 1:01PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

Andy and I read many of the same forums. What he says is probably correct with respect to it being good and lousy at the same time. If you ran statistics on what we are reading, that seems to be the case. But with statistics must be good results on one side and poor results on the other. My circumstance is on the good side of the curve. On my lawn, corn meal works as a curative for brown patch in a high pH soil in a hot zone (San Antonio) on St Augustine.

jvallee, what kind of grass do you have?
Where do you live?
Can you post a picture?
Why are you doing a reno? If it is St Augustine you're dealing with, you can usually recover from any issues and get back to a great lawn without doing a reno.

Bookmark   August 25, 2013 at 4:19PM
More Discussions
Velocity herbicide
I have had Poa Annua n triv for many years. It almost...
hoganjr
Shredded Paper on the Lawn?
Ok, so spring is here and my lawn has really greened...
forsheems
What do I need to have a decent(not show quality) looking Lawn?
First, thank you in advance for the assistance. I have...
mat2cam
New Ant Hill on top of Grass Seedlings
I put down a layer of topsoil in my front lawn before...
mikec
Logan Labs Soil Test near Baltimore, MD
Hello all! I moved in to a new house at the end of...
jwolf27
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™