Old Tecumseh

bus_driverSeptember 6, 2011

My Tecumseh Premier 5 hp has been a really good engine. But the fuel line had to be replaced. Now the fuel leaks at the carburetor and I suspect that it is the elbow where it enters the carburetor. This part is almost hidden behind the carburetor and not accessible when the carb is on the engine. I have no clue as to how the elbow is supposed to seal to the carburetor. It appears to swivel in the carburetor. Anyone know about this from actual experience?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bus_driver

I just learned that the elbow presses into the carburetor and if it swivels, as mine does, it is broken and must be replaced. A new one has been ordered. Thanks for your consideration.

Bookmark   September 6, 2011 at 2:47PM
baymee(LehighValleyPA)

It's very possible that your replacement will contain the steel piece that presses into the carb, along with the white nylon piece that you see is loose. It's a two piece part.

I would gently pry the worn nylon piece off the steel piece in your carb and press the new nylon (gently pried from the steel fitting) onto the existing steel piece still in your carb.

Bookmark   September 7, 2011 at 5:49AM
bus_driver

I ordered the part number shown on the parts list, 631807. In package marked as genuine Tecumseh with logo, address and all the right markings. Made in Czech Republic. But the fitting would project from my carburetor too far- looks as if it would hit the side of the engine. Tight place there. So I will use epoxy to try to secure the old plastic, which is not broken but is slightly loose, to the metal part. That is the next thing I will try.

Bookmark   September 15, 2011 at 4:16PM
lbpod

I'm thinking the plastic part is polyethylene
and nothing sticks to that stuff, (for very
long, anyway).

Bookmark   September 16, 2011 at 9:04AM
bus_driver

The original does not look nor feel like polyethylene to me. Nor like polypropylene. Might be nylon 6/6 or one of the "cousins" of nylon. Might be acetyl, looks and feels like it. But the part was originally molded over a "knurled knob" on the metal part. The "knob" has a hole for the fuel flow. It still fit rather snugly on the "knob". I hope the epoxy will serve as a leak seal even if it does not bond to the plastic.

Bookmark   September 16, 2011 at 9:22AM
baymee(LehighValleyPA)

I've encountered those things very loose, to the point that you could pull the nylon off and put it in a new position and they wouldn't leak.

Bookmark   September 16, 2011 at 8:28PM
andyma_gw

I would try using Permatex Aviation Forma -gasket. It is sticky and non hardening.

Bookmark   September 17, 2011 at 10:31AM
More Discussions
John Deere L110
The mower has been sitting for 3 years, it ran when...
paddlingjohn
Honda HRX217
Had it for 10 years and is the best mower I ever had....
bob3d
Snapper 21 BBC Rehab complete! see pics
Guys, Finally after much effort I finished the Snapper...
quickrick
Mclane 20" mower at Sears... why so inexpensive?
Hey everyone, I want to get yall's input on a mower...
bobbarker14
Briggs and Stratton spark plug confusion
I've got a B & S opposed twin 422707 on a Craftsman...
yt125
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™