plant grass directly in composted cow manure?

mulchie(5)August 24, 2010

Tricky problem. I've got a dead lawn with compacted soil over an existing sprinkler system (don't ask...). I have spread 1-2" of well composted cow manure over the worst area (about 700 sq ft) I can't really dig this in by hand. Can I plant grass seed directly on the surface layer of compost? Some grass is poking up, already benefitting from the manure. Much is just dead. I could also rototil in at about 1-2", but that seems lame and will leave me with a huge rake job after.

Help. I'm really stumped on this one and have a little vacation time to handle this.

thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Billl(z7 nc)

If it is well aged, grass will grow on it. If it is pretty fresh, it might be too hot for a seedling.

Either way, I'm not a big fan of your plan. Compost will break down over time and your new lawn is going to drop up to 2" ? Either you are going to bury your sprinkler heads now or have them sticking up 2" down the road.

Bookmark   August 24, 2010 at 4:27PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mulchie(5)

Yes, it was fatigue from this morning's heave-ho talking there. I plan to dig it up (careful for the sprinkler) mix it all up, rake it flat.... and take it from there. Thanks.

Bookmark   August 24, 2010 at 4:41PM
More Discussions
Why would my neighbor's yard be snowless?
I know this isn't really related to lawn care specifically,...
asm198 - Zone 6a (MO)
Revitalizing and leveling sad lawn
I have a lawn in Northern California that is pretty...
jhalt
New bermuda sod just installed
It is 30 degrees here and I was told to water every...
420benz
Shady lawn in winter - what seed is best?
Hi, I have a small garden in London, England. Because...
Blighty
poor top soil
I had what I thought was top soil brought in to fix...
olusteebus
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™