Weed identification help!

grass_helpAugust 27, 2011

So I've had these growing in big patches right in my front yard. They grow extremely fast and are driving me nuts! Anyway, I pulled one up and took it to the local nursery. They told me it was quackgrass, and the only cure was to spray it with round-up.

I sprayed it. Everything, killing all the grass along with it. Waited 7-10 days, sprayed it again. Waited another 7-10 days. Sprayed it again. Waited another 7-10 days. Sprayed it again. Waited prob. 2 weeks, and all was dead leaving nice big huge brown patches right in my front yard.

Planted new seed, starter fertilizer, etc. and began watering. 1 week, I had all new grass. 1 week later, these came back again! IS there nothing that can be done? Is this even quackgrass? Pulling it does nothing, as it grows right back. HELP! What do I do to rid my yard of this, or is it basically ruined and nothing that can be done?

I'm getting my soil tested next week to see if that helps.

I'm desperate.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tiemco

Quackgrass is a tough one. From what I have read quackgrass has a hearty rhizome system, so even when you kill off the grassy part, the rhizomes persist and eventually send out new growth, even after glyphosate treatments. Constant total removal of the blades will over time deplete the rhizomes of resources, but this can take a long time. Removal of the rhizomes is only feasible for very small areas, and if you leave pieces behind they will regrow more grass.

Bookmark   August 27, 2011 at 11:39AM
grass_help

So you suggest to just simply keep pulling them out when I see them?

Bookmark   August 27, 2011 at 3:35PM
mrgrinch

I find with quack the best defense is a good offense. Take good care of your lawn and it will get choked out.

But notwithstanding... when I first sodded my yard I had some spots of quackgrass that came from the nursery. I was told to mow my grass very short in the spot with quack. The quack rows faster / higher than the lawn, so using a string soaked in non-selective roundup carefully run the string over the longer quack. This avoids killing the rest of your lawn.

Bookmark   August 28, 2011 at 6:03PM
Big_Papi

That pic looks more like Nutsedge than anything else to me.

Bookmark   August 29, 2011 at 12:15AM
alan93(6a OH)

That's what fox tail looks like before it goes to seed. Tall strands then fuzzy seeds start to sprout out of the middle.

Bookmark   August 30, 2011 at 2:57PM
mikek1947

I really believe that is nutsedge. It does not have the leaf attachment that quackgrass or foxtail have. Just don't let it form seed heads -- it will be dead in the winter.

Bookmark   August 31, 2011 at 10:35PM
lefeavers

Here are pic's April 23rd 2014
Not Kudzu or whatÿ?

Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 12:27AM
More Discussions
Some suggested low maintenance grasses
Zone 5B, S.W. Nebraska Hot summers, typically dry....
deviantnic
Termite in my yard
I have termites eating my grass roots and killing the...
kmiec
St Augustine grass problems
Hello all-- I live in Florida on the gulf coast with...
mike153
Lawn issues (tree roots drying out lawn, uneven ground, grading e
I have been a long time lurker, but this is my first...
tomormatt
Shady lawn in winter - what seed is best?
Hi, I have a small garden in London, England. Because...
Blighty
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™