gvc160 engine won't start

roswellbillSeptember 2, 2013

I have a pressure washer that is driven by a Honda GVC-160 Engine - I went to start it for the first time in 7 months and it wouldn't go. I drained the gas, put in fresh, still nothing. I checked oil level, OK. I replaced spark plug, nothing. I pulled gas lines - I have fuel flow. I pulled carb and cleaned float and blew ports out with air, nothing. I even pulled gas cap and blew out vents, nothing. I sprayed a little starter fluid in carb and it started until the starter fluid burned out. Now what?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
baymee(LehighValleyPA)

It didn't used to be a problem with Hondas, but with the ethanol fuel or old fuel, the jets are getting gelled up. Your symptoms indicate a probably clogged jet(s). Here are some pictures to show what I mean.

Website link to this article:

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/lmower
/msg051313339279.html?3

Buying a Honda carb from Honda of Plano, TX is so cheap, it doesn't pay to save a badly damaged carb anymore.

I had not seen varnished Honda carbs until recently. They seem to have escaped this dilemma. Here is what you're looking for.

Most likely, you'll have to remove the carb. Make careful note of the linkage and how it comes off. Remove the bowl nut and in the center of the carb you'll see an opening just under the bowl nut. You'll need a special, thin screwdriver to remove the first jet. It has a slotted head with a center jet. Above that is the long tube with many small holes. Both pieces have to be thoroughly clean. Use carb cleaner to clean the rest of the carb; any orifices. Do not overtighten the jet when you put it back in. Very light torque; it isn't going anywhere. This should solve your problem. This carb worked like a champ when I was done. Good luck.

Bookmark   September 2, 2013 at 4:43PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mvron

If you're going to buy a new Honda carb, my first choice would be the Honda dealer. The carbs are incredibly cheap - no S&H from the Honda Dealer.

Bookmark   September 7, 2013 at 7:34PM
More Discussions
Bosch Rotak 36 Rotary Lawnmower
I am currently studying for a Horticulture qualification...
jen9716599
Honda HRX217
Had it for 10 years and is the best mower I ever had....
bob3d
Snapper 21 BBC Rehab complete! see pics
Guys, Finally after much effort I finished the Snapper...
quickrick
Snapper commercial refurb
This is the 1986 snapper 21500PC that I found in the...
snapperfreak
Advice Needed on a Used Mclane Reel Mower
Hello! I live in Southern California (San Fernando...
hbcsc153
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™