Some type of escapee

jekeesl (south-central Arkansas)(7b)January 20, 2014

These plants were in a heavily shaded area in the first cut of woods, about 30 yards off a highway. They were in a dense patch about 4 feet across, and were not likely planted at that location. The leaves were 12-14 inches tall, about 0.3 inch wide, single-veined, smooth, had rounded tips and were heavily keeled underneath. The bulbs averaged a bit more than 1 inch across. The two photos were taken this afternoon.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

Lycoris, likely. Is the middle of the leaf pale, like a whitish stripe? If so, L. radiata I'd say.

Bookmark   January 20, 2014 at 5:22PM
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

I've seen narcissus in the borders of woodland areas and it may be a possibility as well.

FataMorgana

Bookmark   January 20, 2014 at 5:31PM
jekeesl (south-central Arkansas)(7b)

Thanks purple. There is a light stripe down the middle of the leaf, but it is pretty indistinct. FataMorgana's suggestion is also worth consideration. We have both genera in this area, but I've never seen either with leaves this time of year. I'll just plant a few and see what comes up this season. Should I go ahead and put them in my flower bed, or wait for warmer weather? Also curious if those leaves should be cut back.

Bookmark   January 20, 2014 at 6:15PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

I would do it sooner than later, though the weather this week looks really cold, if yours will be similar to what they're saying we'll get here. If you wait too long, the foliage will be gone, you won't know where they are. I've been re-positioning tons of these in the abandoned yard next door, because they're quite visible now amid dormant grass, at least 1,000 so far. Probably how you noticed those? I would not cut the leaves of bulbs. I think they need them, and I'd lose my place planting them if the foliage wasn't sticking up.

Bookmark   January 21, 2014 at 8:58AM
jekeesl (south-central Arkansas)(7b)

Thanks for the advice.

Bookmark   January 21, 2014 at 10:06AM
More Discussions
Name of succulent
Saw this at a store... anyone know it's name? thanks!...
nanzjade_z5
what sort of mushroom?
I promise I have no intention of trying to ingest this...
toad_ca
Silk flower NOID
Need help to identify what flower this is an imitation...
donrawson
Help ID the 4 Plants in this flower bed
I am trying to ID the plants in this bed. I'm fairly...
btalarczyk
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™