Grubs

chiefsilverbackAugust 7, 2014

I treated with MilkSpore last September and we had a fair few japanese beetles in the garden a few weeks ago, now my front lawn is infested with small grubs (see pic compared to quarter). I can pull up a handful of sod and find 5 - 10 grubs.

I really don't want to dump some horrible chemical on the lawn so do I wait for last year's MilkySpore to start killing them, apply another treatment now or do something else entirely?

The lawn isn't in that good a shape as is. It was badly done new construction 3 years ago and this fall I'm going to aerate and mulch in the fall leaves, maybe top dress with compost, so maybe my best bet is to do nothing right now and live with the dead lawn until fall?

Any advice is most welcome...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
morpheuspa

I can't ID a grub species offhand, but hopefully somebody can.

I also tried Milky Spore, it didn't work well for me. In my case, I ended up having to pull out the big guns in September to get rid of them--the turf was floating!

I know that nematodes are available that will kill grubs. I'm pretty sure (I've never used them) that the soil has to be pretty damp and kept damp while they work. The nematodes use the water to move around, and die if it goes dry.

That might be the first thing to try. If it works, great. If not, you can re-evaluate at that point.

Bookmark   August 7, 2014 at 12:49PM
botanicalbill(9b SWFlorida)

From what I understand, milky spore takes a few years to fully work. Try putting down another round on the infested area.

Bookmark   August 7, 2014 at 10:38PM
chiefsilverback

I bought my Milky Spore at the Home Depot last year, but it looks like they only carry it online now.

I'm interested in the nematodes, I'll have to see if anywhere around here carries them.

On a related subject I was just checking the grubs' progress across my lawn and happened upon a weird cluster of litter white worms (see pic) any idea what they are?

Bookmark   August 8, 2014 at 2:04PM
morpheuspa

No clue here, but they are kind of cute and very interesting!

Bookmark   August 8, 2014 at 4:42PM
More Discussions
Beneficial Nemotodes or Milky Spore?
I have an awful problem with slugs every spring, lasy...
lisaw2015
Caring for new sod in Vancouver, BC
Hi, I just have new sod installed a month ago. They...
Arthaith Swan
Velocity herbicide
I have had Poa Annua n triv for many years. It almost...
hoganjr
Texasweed
All I want to know is why your bermuda bible and the...
grasshole
New house in Zone 8- needing advice
first post here. i live in the Little Rock area and...
wt168048
Sponsored Products
Feiss F2647 Beckett 3-Light Kitchen Chandelier - F2647/3ORB
$89.98 | Hayneedle
Tex Mex Bowl & Spoon
$18.99 | zulily
Dusk All-Weather Wicker Patio Dining Set - Seats 4 - 235372
$748.67 | Hayneedle
Melissa and Doug Grub Scouts Sprinkler - 6249
$19.99 | Hayneedle
Colorado Rockies Food Caddy
$17.99 | zulily