Little help on how to make lawn mowers go faster?

generalkyleSeptember 18, 2009

Ok, I know if you get a bigger pully in front it will speed up your lawn mower. I was wondering if I could leave my back pully in or do I have to replace that one too? Also, does the front pully have to bigger than the back? What size should I get? It's a four-gear but the fourth gear doesn't work, so it's pretty much a three-gear. I'd like to go about 20 MPH in 3rd gear. Also, this is NOT for mowing. We gave it to my nephew for his birthday and we took off the blade. Also, I don't think I'll be pulling anything with it. But I would like speed, about 20 MPH, and enough power to go up steep hills good. I just want to know if I can just put a bigger one in the front and leave the back one in. And also if the front one has to be bigger than the back one. I doubt the front one has to be bigger, but I just want to make sure. I can get a longer belt, so I don't mind increasing the first front one's size and keeping the back's size the same. In fact, I would much rather have the back one stay in so I can just replace the front pully with a bigger pully.

P.S. if someone has a calculator where I can see what size will go so fast, could you please put the link up?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bertd

Not sure I can help, but I do know that most of those on this site with knowledge will want to know: make, model, type and code. No idea what you are working on. Good luck.

Bookmark   September 18, 2009 at 9:10PM
generalkyle

Well, it's a Murray (that's the brand). Not sure about anything else. It's not new; probably about 5-10 years old. Not working on anything specifically- just trying to make it go faster. And I want to know if I only need to replace the front pulley.

Bookmark   September 18, 2009 at 10:08PM
baymee(LehighValleyPA)

Changing pulleys would give you more speed but would the transmission take it?

Google the relationship of drive and driven pulleys and the corresponding change in RPM.

Bookmark   September 19, 2009 at 6:59AM
rustyj14(W/PA)

Reversing the pulley arrangement will give more speed, but result in loss of power! Which means--it will go faster down hill, but you may have to physically push it up hill.
Why this infatuation with speed? If you want to go fast, up hill and down, then buy one of the various types of 4-wheel trail riders, with the powerful engines, and go speed around--much more desirable, than a monkeyed-with old lawn tractor! Check into the Go-cart forums. They will be better able to fill you in on how to do the job!

Bookmark   September 19, 2009 at 9:36AM
generalkyle

Wow. If you can't help me then don't say anything. I have a 4-wheeler but I want to customize my lawn mower. All I want to know is the size I need in the front so I can go buy it.

Bookmark   September 19, 2009 at 10:42AM
davidandkasie(Z8 MS)

there are plenty of racing mower websites out there, google them an dyou will find your answers. i don't think many on this board build racers/fast ones.

Bookmark   September 19, 2009 at 12:07PM
rustyj14(W/PA)

Wonder if he ever had his mouth washed out with soap?

Bookmark   September 19, 2009 at 9:25PM
andyma_gw

Disco the drive and push faster Grasshopper

Bookmark   September 20, 2009 at 9:50AM
baymee(LehighValleyPA)

For the younger folks, getting your mouth washed out with soap is not just an expression.

When I was a little kid, I repeated some words my aunt used and found out the meaning of that phrase.

Bookmark   September 20, 2009 at 4:58PM
metal(6)

I would be willing to bet you will get no further help here after your last reply. Good Day.

Bookmark   September 21, 2009 at 10:19AM
goodolrebeleric_aol_com

well i would like to know too about making a lawn mower faster so.................... bring on the comments

Bookmark   February 24, 2011 at 6:33PM
tomplum

This should help...

Here is a link that might be useful: Summit

Bookmark   February 24, 2011 at 8:12PM
rangerdon

I saw a used mower once which had a sticker on the dash which read 'Do Not Exceed 45MPH'. And it had a speedometer!
Don

Bookmark   February 25, 2011 at 9:47PM
ewalk

Tom : Good one lol !

Bookmark   February 26, 2011 at 9:07AM
bla_aol_com

get the biggest on front and smallest on back

Bookmark   June 30, 2011 at 5:51PM
More Discussions
John Deere 14SB Transmission
Greetings! I have a John Deere 14SB self-propelled...
greenhand
Tom Boy Lawnmowers????
Has anyone seen or heard of Tom-Boy push lawn mowers????...
bekellog
Troy Bilt Snow Blower
I have a Troy-Bilk 21", 4 cycle, 123cc ohv engine....
redrabbit
Craftsman 6.6 Eager 1 917.377321 won't stary running
The only way I can keep this mower running is to take...
fresno99
Charger for/charging a Toro GTS 6.75 hp
I recently acquired a several year old Toro GTS 6.75...
bkay2000
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™