How late is too late to seed bermuda?

scotttydAugust 25, 2009

After several failed attempts to get a decent stand of bermuda grass, I realized one of my problems was that I was trying to do the entire yard at once, and with my odd work schedule (I am gone for 14 hours on days I work), and I have an odd shaped good size lawn, I was not watering the entire area often enough and I was just wasting my money and time as the seed would not grow. So I decided to do small parts at a time and work on the dead and bare areas one or two at a time, water them good and when I get a good stand, move to the next. I have three main areas to focus on. My question is, at what point is it too late in the season to plant a warm season grass like bermuda?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wrager(Z5 OH)

Probably too late now. I seeded Seashore Paspalum (very similar to Bermuda) last Labor Day. It came up nicely, but was killed off by the winter. I re-seeded in June this year with Triangle. Looks great now and should survive nicely.

Bookmark   August 25, 2009 at 1:47PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rdaystrom

April through July is optimal for sure. The way I look at it it's worth a try. Some may survive. I planted some three weeks ago and it's doing well so far. The Bermuda may die out this winter though. Best to plant in the Spring.

Bookmark   August 25, 2009 at 2:56PM
More Discussions
hydroseeding this spring or wait til fall?
hello - my lawn took a major hit last year even after...
duk748
What order do I restore my lawn?
I live in the CA Bay Area and have a fescue lawn. ...
Brent Villalobos
Help! My lawn needs to recover from years of neglect.
I posted this on the organic lawn forum as well. We...
NVL4
Poa Annua already making it's jump!
PA typically comes up here in April, we're mid Feb...
gsweater
What type of grass grows best is very shady areas in South East Texas?
I live in South East Texas and have many trees and...
dcloteaux1350
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™