Grass build up on top of deck

coho(z8/9 N. Calif)September 21, 2011

Craftsman 917.272060 LT with Kohler 16 hp

Does anyone have a sucessful solution to prevent grass build up around the drive pulleys and belt from grass clipings blowing up around the blade spindles? This is especially bad when using the mulching cover.

Thank you,

coho

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tomplum

Hopefully someone has a solution, but I think that it is a given with this deck. I suppose you could do an experiment and build a baffle that would cover the vents around the spindle and see what that does in respect to keeping the grass down. Hopefully it won't affect the quality of cut. Envision using a thin plastic can lid, sliced through to the center-with an 1 7/8" hole that will fit over the mandrel. If you've not ever been told before, don't use water to clean the grass off.

Bookmark   September 22, 2011 at 11:36AM
coho(z8/9 N. Calif)

Air for the top and a plastic putty knife for the under side is the way I do it. Thought about stuffing a piece of toweling around the mandrel but concerened about loss of cooling air to mandrel.

Bookmark   September 22, 2011 at 5:07PM
sboricic(5a)

I have the same problem with my Craftsman so you're not alone. I just take the airhose to it once I'm done cutting.

Bookmark   September 27, 2011 at 8:21AM
tomplum

I wouldn't thing cooling is an issue. Most other makes don't have holes through near the spindle. If the toweling made it to the blade, that would be bad.

Bookmark   September 27, 2011 at 10:38PM
coho(z8/9 N. Calif)

I looked at a Snapper at a local fair last Friday and there was just enough room for the mandrel to pass thru. Toweling? Not nearly as bad as 20 ft of 1/4 polly or a piece of chicken wire in tall grass and weeds. I will work something out when I have time and see how it goes. For now, no mulching.
Thanks.

Bookmark   September 27, 2011 at 10:59PM
coho(z8/9 N. Calif)

I looked at a Snapper at a local fair last Friday and there was just enough room for the mandrel to pass thru. Toweling? Not nearly as bad as 20 ft of 1/4 polly or a piece of chicken wire in tall grass and weeds. I will work something out when I have time and see how it goes. For now, no mulching.
Thanks.

Bookmark   September 27, 2011 at 11:00PM
More Discussions
B&S OHV 6.5 won't start
If I prime the engine 5/6 times it starts on the second...
mvron
Mclane 20" mower at Sears... why so inexpensive?
Hey everyone, I want to get yall's input on a mower...
bobbarker14
Craftsman ZTS 7500
Going to look at a used one of these tomorrow. Anything...
radlee30458
JD L100 and LA100 series trans oil change
I have a JD L118. It had a K46 trans that failed at...
fix_it
Bosch Rotak 36 Rotary Lawnmower
I am currently studying for a Horticulture qualification...
jen9716599
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™