Plastic Yard Man Mower Deck repair

iggieOctober 3, 2013

I have a 4 year old 22 in Yardman mower with a plastic deck. The holes where engine mounting bolts are located have enlarged and engine is not fastened down. The deck is in fine shape otherwise, is there any way to repair this in a manner that will hold. I have looked for a used deck and had no luck a new one is almost 150 so any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Iggie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ggoyeneche

First off, the right answer is to replace the deck, either new or with a salvage unit. However, I agree that finding one will probably be difficult, and as you said a new one is extortionately priced.

I assume the engine hold down bolts are 3/8" self-tapping/self-threading. I suggest replacing them with 5/16 bolts and nuts, using a flat washer and lockwasher at the engine side, and an oversized "fender" washer on the deck side. Have the bolt come up from the bottom, with the bolt head bearing on the fender washer.

The new bolting arrangement will allow you to get more clamping force to securely hold things together. Also, be sure that the engine is properly aligned as you tighten things down. Since the deck holes are enlarged, the engine can shift relative to the deck. You should see witness marks on the top of the deck to help you align the engine.

Keep looking for a similar junker mower to harvest the deck. At best this is a relatively temporary repair. It could also fail quickly. Be sure to check the tightness of the fasteners on a regular basis. You might also want to consider using Loctite or nyloc nuts to keep things from working loose.

Bookmark   October 3, 2013 at 9:12AM
tomplum

Interesting. I have seen YM mowers w/ the replaceable plastic engine adapter, plastic axle supports that mount to the metal deck- but not a plastic housing itself. learn something new everyday. Could you post the YM model # and where you bought it?

Bookmark   October 3, 2013 at 11:56AM
phototone

If you have excessive vibration due to a bent crankshaft, or a blade that is terribly out-of-balance. Any repair will be only temporary.

Bookmark   October 6, 2013 at 10:38AM
ewalk

See my previous advice within the Toolshed Forum within your concern.

Bookmark   October 7, 2013 at 5:27PM
ewalk

Save your breath gents this jerk posted on two separate Threads and doesn't have the descency to even post a follow up on either , why even bother to assist these jerks !

Bookmark   October 14, 2013 at 10:34PM
More Discussions
Craftsman ZTS 7500
Going to look at a used one of these tomorrow. Anything...
radlee30458
New Toro Push Mower?
I am looking to replace an 11 year old Toro Recycler,...
seashells18
Champion Spark Plug lack of quality
Picked up a set of RJ12C's to have on hand when I do...
yt125
john deere RX75 belt diagram
I have a Rx75 with 9hp motor. I bought it used and...
jeremy_2010
Tru-cut Reel Clutch Adjustment
I've owned this guy since new (1979). Beyond normal...
runner70
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™