Weak spark

welderbytradeOctober 10, 2009

I have a tecumseh 12.5 OHV the connecting rod was broke so I took it all apart to replace it everything went well until I tried to start it back up it is cranking fine but has a very weak spark .I replaced the magneto and still weak spark . Also if I remove the ground wire from the magneto it still has a weak spark any help would be appreciated

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
retired_again

To help us understand, what are you describing as a weak spark?

Sometimes, a spark may be almost invisible. Position the spark plug wire about 5/16 inch away from the cylinder head (use duct tape to hold it). A dark area such as a closed garage is a good place to perform this test. A nice pull on the starter usually results in about 500rpm. If the ignition system can deliver a spark with this test, the ignition system should be good.

Bookmark   October 12, 2009 at 12:17PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wsc1945

Check to make sure the air gap is set correctly between the flywheel and ignition coil. Without a model and serial number I canÂt say for sure what the correct gap is, but it is normally around .010"-.012". Also make sure the coil is installed in the right direction, some have an arrow on the coil showing the direction of engine rotation.

weingartzparts.com

Bookmark   October 12, 2009 at 1:01PM
More Discussions
need a mower
Hi. I'm trying to find a decent self propelled walk...
mjgarden1
New Honda HRX Drive System
I see where Honda is presenting a new drive system...
skipmarr
Mclane 20" mower at Sears... why so inexpensive?
Hey everyone, I want to get yall's input on a mower...
bobbarker14
john deere RX75 belt diagram
I have a Rx75 with 9hp motor. I bought it used and...
jeremy_2010
John Deere L110
The mower has been sitting for 3 years, it ran when...
paddlingjohn
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™