Briggs Quantum 6hp won't shut off

vinnie_s(NJ)October 21, 2013

Briggs Quantum 6hp on Craftsman push mower would not shut off when I let go of the safety. It has been slowly getting to the point where it would not shut off right away, but then this is the first time it kept running.

Here is where it gets weird. I pulled the plug wire in an attempt to kill the mower, and it ran without the wire attached! (play Twi-light Zone music).

Can anyone explain this to me? Can a bad kill switch do this?

BTW, this mower is 14 years old and has been indestructible. This engine has been incredible.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ericwi

You can still buy "glow plug" type model airplane engines, and these also run with no power supplied to the spark plug. If there are accumulated carbon deposits in the cylinder head, the carbon can get hot and act as a glow plug, keeping the engine running, if fuel and air are available. If you can get it to run without fuel and air, now that would be something strange.

Bookmark   October 21, 2013 at 8:02PM
vinnie_s(NJ)

Well, that could explain that. It was running hot. The engine was smoking after shutdown. There was plenty of oil in it and it was clean. The primer bulb also needs to be replaced.

I hope you were right about the carbon deposits. LOL

Bookmark   October 21, 2013 at 8:13PM
vinnie_s(NJ)

Well, it sounds like it is dieseling. I googled it and that is what it sounds like. I have to look at the plug. If that is OK, there is carbon buildup in the cylinder. How do I clean carbon deposits without ripping the engine apart? Can I even do that?

Bookmark   October 21, 2013 at 8:30PM
bill_kapaun

Chances are if you cleaned all the dead grass etc. from under the cooling tins that your problem would go away.

Bookmark   October 21, 2013 at 9:49PM
vinnie_s(NJ)

All you guys were right. I replaced the plug because the old one had carbon buildup. Also, I removed the top and blew out the dead grass from the fins and airflow. Man, was it clogged! That grass caused the heat to go up. The grass was also scorched. Fired right up and shut right down! I also replace the fuel line as the old one was really badly cracked.

Bookmark   October 23, 2013 at 6:33PM
More Discussions
JD L100 and LA100 series trans oil change
I have a JD L118. It had a K46 trans that failed at...
fix_it
Advice Needed on a Used Mclane Reel Mower
Hello! I live in Southern California (San Fernando...
hbcsc153
Bad ignition coil magneto on Tecumseh
Is there a more economical solution to replacing a...
don_v
Craftsman ZTS 7500
Going to look at a used one of these tomorrow. Anything...
radlee30458
Snapper 21 BBC Rehab complete! see pics
Guys, Finally after much effort I finished the Snapper...
quickrick
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™