Pet Safe Lawn Weed Killer?

mike50(z7)August 5, 2011

A few years back I used a weed killer on my backyard lawn but thought I noticed our two Australian Shepherds licking their paws quite alot after coming inside. I don't recall the brand weed killer I used at the time. As I didn't want them to ingest any of the weed killer residue nor experience the burning sensation (or whatever prompted the paw licking) on their paws, I quit using the weed killer.

Ahyup, weeds have returned. Any ideas on a safe, effective weed killer I could apply to the grass that would not have these side-effects? I was thinking of Ortho Weed-B-Gon Lawn Weed Killer 2 but haven't researched it yet. Java, Jazmine and I appreciate your thoughts.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jesse

Some selective herbicides are definitely more toxic then others. You can see on the label if it says "caution" then it's a lower grade of weed killer. If it says "Danger" then that's the highest level of toxicity.

Most herbicides are washed off after watering or rain and become of no effect. If there was a way to (1) spray the weeds with a low toxicity selective herbicide, then (2), keep the dogs off of the lawn for a couple days, allowing the weed killer to work, then (3) water the lawn thoroughly, you should be good.

Bookmark   August 5, 2011 at 4:53PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

I take a cultural approach to weed control which usually does not involve chemicals. But for that I would need more information from you.

Where do you live? Please be specific down to a town or zip code.
What kind of grass do you have? I'm guessing fescue or Kentucky bluegrass.
What kind of weeds do you have?
How long and how often do you water? I'm guessing you water more than once a week.
How often do you mow and how high/low? I'm guessing you mow lower than 3 inches.
How often do you fertilize and with what products?

Bookmark   August 5, 2011 at 5:23PM
More Discussions
Artificial Turf and Gophers
Hello everyone - newbie in gardening here. If I am...
sallophane
Poa Annua already making it's jump!
PA typically comes up here in April, we're mid Feb...
gsweater
Lawn after so much snow…what do I need to know?
A newbie here so I haven't maintained a lawn for a...
Pippin
Help! My lawn needs to recover from years of neglect.
I posted this on the organic lawn forum as well. We...
NVL4
Problem with St. Augustine grass
Hi! I live in the north of Portugal (Hardiness Zone...
Kratus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™