Tree. Not much growth.

lovemanyplantsFebruary 23, 2013

A tree sprouted but not sure what it is. Don't know how to care for it. On top of this it has a long thin stick/trunk. Any ideas guys?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

sideways was bad enough.. now you got one upside down???

ken

Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 5:07PM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

Mulberry?

Bookmark   February 24, 2013 at 5:04AM
thefof(NSW Aust)

Don't think it is mulberry as the leaf shape is totally different from one in a friends garden, thought there are several species.
It also looks like it may have a mineral, Iron(?), deficiency. Compost too alkaline or over fertilised?

Bookmark   February 24, 2013 at 8:16AM
saltcedar(Sunset zn 30/usda 8b)

Ficus carica cv I believe. They commonly volunteer in Cali.

Bookmark   February 24, 2013 at 10:19AM
lovemanyplants

What are you talking about upside down? This picture is correct. Look at the pot.

Bookmark   February 24, 2013 at 11:54AM
lovemanyplants

The leaves are slightly different than the ficus carica. Someone else thought Asian Mulberry. Black Mulberry leaves are very different than the white Mulberry ones. Looks a little like an Asian Mulberry. Popped up Ina pot so I didn't give it much care. Just kind of went unnoticed. Curious so I'll know what to do for it. Right now it's in potting soil(where it popped up), haven't fertilized it other than the soil, the weather has been suuupeeerrr cold though. We have had frost on our deck so that may also be a factor.

Bookmark   February 24, 2013 at 12:12PM
theplantwizard(Sunset 13)

I think Ken thought it was upside down because the pot is at the top of the picture, upside down.

Bookmark   February 24, 2013 at 1:33PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Both the leaves and the branches look upside down. There is not enough shown to be sure what kind of tree it is. While I do not think is certain to be a mulberry I will point out that the leaf shapes of white mulberry are highly variable, resulting in recurring mystification - at some times multiple posts appear asking about white mulberries that have popped up on their own. Usually seedlings with much-divided, vaguely maple-like leaf shapes are what cause confusion.

Bookmark   February 24, 2013 at 2:43PM
saltcedar(Sunset zn 30/usda 8b)

See Ficus afganistanica, a progenitor of Edible fig.
It demonstrates the huge variation possible in edible figs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ficus afganistanica

Bookmark   February 24, 2013 at 3:55PM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

A picture of a bud would settle the fig question.

nb the picture is upside down for me but goes right way up if clicked on.

Bookmark   February 24, 2013 at 5:04PM
lovemanyplants

Here is another one showing a little more of the plant. Not sure it helps though.

Bookmark   February 24, 2013 at 8:28PM
lovemanyplants

Here's one just of the leaf.

Bookmark   February 24, 2013 at 8:32PM
lovemanyplants

Here is a picture of just the leaf. Didn't go through before when I tried.

Bookmark   February 24, 2013 at 8:35PM
vall3fam(9 CentralCA)

I would still say mulberry. And if it came up volunteer, that means it's from a fruiting mulberry. If it were me, I'd put that thing in the compost bin.

Elaine

Bookmark   February 24, 2013 at 9:17PM
lovemanyplants

Elaine,
Why would you put it in a compost bin? If it is a fruiting mulberry then that is a wonderful plant to have! Not quite sure why you would say that!

Bookmark   February 24, 2013 at 9:29PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

White mulberry pops up frequently and weedily in some areas. And not everyone appreciates the bird poop and fruit juice staining associated with ripe crops of white mulberries. In fact, anything generating quantities of fruits, nuts or seeds may be seen as a nuisance by those not wanting to deal with them. In my area there are large numbers of orchard fruit trees, particularly apples, as well as a component of other types such as edible figs, that do not get harvested much; I have seen wharf rats coming to both kinds. (Fig trees may also attract crows and eastern gray squirrels). Due to the mess Seattle has long prohibited orchard fruits from being chosen for new street tree plantings.

Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 8:57PM
lovemanyplants

Well, we are not in Seattle. We are in California. People here greatly appreciate the extra fruit and health that berries offer you. Up in Washington berries run rampant. Down here in California they do not. I understand the thoughts behind the statement. Just think its a little rude to say something like that when I'm simply asking for help identifying. I had a Mullberry and yes it does make a mess, but it is a joy to have around. I think that if people have rude comments then they should not post. There is no reason for the bickering to go on. Simple, just don't post on someone else's thread if you plan on being rude. Just saying.

Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 9:34PM
missingtheobvious(Blue Ridge 7a)

Well, we are not in Seattle. We are in California. People here greatly appreciate the extra fruit and health that berries offer you. Up in Washington berries run rampant. Down here in California they do not.

lovemanyplants, there are most definitely parts of California where berries run rampant. I grew up in California and have been to some of those parts of the state. It might be a good idea to avoid blanket statements.

Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 11:23PM
lovemanyplants

There's no reason to be rude! I asked for an identification, not someone picking a fight! Please don't post on my threads if you can't be cordial! Thanks and have a nice day!:)

This post was edited by lovemanyplants on Thu, Feb 28, 13 at 22:42

Bookmark   February 28, 2013 at 2:09AM
More Discussions
please name this plant
Didn't know this plant.please name it. Thanks in advance...
Tabi77
Flowering Vine/plant Identification
Have had this plant for years, seldom blooms, but it...
ehgraham
No clue...new growth seems to look pinkish
I have a friend wanting to know what this plant is...to...
cadillactaste
pink anthurium
I am looking for the botanical name for my pink anthurium....
linda_leaf z10fla
Name of succulent
Saw this at a store... anyone know it's name? thanks!...
nanzjade_z5
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™