Fertilize after weed killer burn?

MonkeylegAugust 5, 2014

Last week I put down some Bayer liquid weed killer on my Bermuda grass lawn. Some areas turned yellow from being over-sprayed. The frustrating thing is that the clover and other weeds are still alive and well.

I'd like to put down a second application of ammonium sulfate in a couple of weeks, which would be a month after the last one. I'm just wondering if it's safe to do that after burning grass with weed killer.

Does anyone know?

Thanks for any replies.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
t_d_harvey(7)

You should be fine. also your Bermuda should bounce back as well as long as bayer is safe for Bermuda. I don't use it so I don't know what the label says. Recently I treated weeds, fert. a week later and retreated weeds 10 days after first treatment. weeds brown, light discoloration of bermuda, but still healthy.

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 8:06AM
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

If you have any hesitation to use a chemical fertilizer, you can always use an organic fertilizer for the timing and wait until you are confident the bermuda is back. Don't worry about the low NPK on the organics, NPK is more or less meaningless on organics. What you want with those is protein content.

Look at the directions on the herbicide label. Summertime is usually a poor time because the temps are above 85 degrees.

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 1:17PM
Monkeyleg

Thanks for the replies. The color of the spots of grass is getting back to normal. I'll wait a week. I'm going to apply ammonium sulfate, and I didn't want to have further risk of burn.

Bookmark   August 9, 2014 at 8:29PM
More Discussions
Lawn drainage on the cheap?
My husband and I bought a house in November, and have...
galiana
Some suggested low maintenance grasses
Zone 5B, S.W. Nebraska Hot summers, typically dry....
deviantnic
Poa Annua already making it's jump!
PA typically comes up here in April, we're mid Feb...
gsweater
What type of grass grows best is very shady areas in South East Texas?
I live in South East Texas and have many trees and...
dcloteaux1350
Termite in my yard
I have termites eating my grass roots and killing the...
kmiec
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™